Security Cameras go up at Lincoln High School

The installation of the security cameras during the summer of 2016, surfaced questions about Lincoln’s security and safety. Marco Huerta and Brandon Sullivan had the opportunity to chat with Lincoln’s Vice Principal, Ms.Hansen, to get some insight behind the security cameras.

The reason for the installation of security cameras was part of the Measure H project. Funds were given to the San Jose Unified School District to spend on local projects at every school within its jurisdiction. Parents and members of the Lincoln community identified safety as the top priority. 

The security cameras were a step forward to provide a safer environment for students to spend time before, during, and after school. This initiative took effect during the summer. Ms.Hansen explained that “each one of those cameras has four lenses on it, so it’s like 50 different screens.” Since it was “a lot of footage to be watching,” Central Station monitors the footage.

Central Station, the ones in charge of overseeing the entire district’s camera feed, collects the data online which can only be saved for 90 days. Something very interesting is that during late nights when the motion sensors detects movement, the loudspeaker will ask “please identify yourself,” ensuring anyone who doesn’t have the identification to have second thoughts and hopefully scare them away.

Lincoln Lion Tales were unable to contact Marty Herrera, Project Manager at Central Station for the San Jose School District. When they called, they were redirected to another person.

Mr.Hewitson and Ms.Hansen are the only faculty members who have access to the footage. The security cameras allows footage to be monitored throughout the entire day to allow malicious activity to be driven away from Lincoln and allow students to feel safe.

“It’s a huge help” Hewitson told Lion Tales. “We have so many students and staff here late at night, for sporting events, theater, music events, so it’s nice to have that extra layer of security”