Play PREVIEW: Uh Oh, “She Kills Monsters”

Do you kill monsters? Neither do we, but Agnes Evans, the protagonist of She Kills Monsters, certainly does.

She Kills Monsters written by the acclaimed playwright Qui Nguyen will take you on Agnes’s heartbreaking journey that embarks shortly after her sister Tilly’s tragic young death. To escape the horror that quickly ensues, Agnes disappears into her sister’s favorite book, Dungeons and Dragons. Monsters, pop culture, and viscous fairies: there really is no end to Agnes imaginary refuge.

Lincoln’s BitCo, a elite traveling theater company compiled exclusively of our best student actors and actresses, is taking this play head on. Premiering Thursday January 26th and continuing through the 28th, She Kills Monsters is sure to be a heart pounding thriller. 

On weeknights seniors pay 10$, adults pay 12$, kids pay 9$ and all students with their ID’s pay 12$

On weekends seniors pay 12$, adults pay 14$, kids pay 11$ and all students with their ID’s pay 12$

On closing nights seniors pay 14$, adults pay 17$, kids pay 12$ and all students with their ID’s pay 13$

To buy tickets you can go to the Lincoln Performing Art’s Website

Assistant director Josh Michelberg was bouncing in his chair with childlike excitement in Mr. Maddens 5th period AP Literature class,  where I stopped by to ask him some questions about the play. “I really think the Lincoln community will love this play because it contains lots of sexuality, well there’s one lesbian couple but several sexual encounters throughout the play.”

“It’s much different to go from the lead in Greece to being assistant director, it’s completely different in the way I think about the production as a whole”.  Josh’s role as assistant director is hoped to give the play a stronger connection to Lincoln students because he’s directly involved with many important decisions such as choreography, set design, ect. 

Play lead Emma LaFever was reluctant to put down her salad down at first when I asked her if I could ask her about her involvement in the play, but soon she was equally enthusiastic. “This play is all about female empowerment! It’s also really fun to be the only normal person in a play full of monsters”.

“One really cool thing about this play is the fact that the many swords scenes are all choreographed by students, we’re all working really hard like it’s our jobs!” Students are working very hard to improve an emotional connection to the audience, which is why there is so much more student involvement within this play. 

We’re just as excited as you are Josh and Emma! We can’t wait to see you both, and all of Bitco, break a leg!

Cast list to come soon!