Lincoln High School’s Most Fierce Female 2017 Graduates

(Jocelyn Insurriaga/ Lion Tales)

As the shaking leaves your hands and the nervous sweat that’s drenched your back dries, you are left staring at the multitude of letters and emails from idolized, or sometimes stigmatized, universities and colleges informing you of their decision status. As the end of the 2016-2017 school year approaches more and more Lincoln seniors are committing to their selected colleges.

This year the range of senior college destinations is vast, spreading from San Jose City College all the way to Barnard College in NYC. The vast variety of majors is no less unique arraying from musical theater to math.

A large portion of Lincoln students have committed to local schools such as San Jose State University and De Anza City College, but many members of this year’s graduating class have also committed to extremely competitive schools.

While we are extremely proud of all our graduating Lions, we’ve decided to dedicate this story to some of our most high-achieving Lady Lions. While statistically speaking women earn more college degrees than men, we find ourselves being passed over for jobs we are overly qualified for and making less money at the same jobs as our male colleagues. We are confident that this generation of persistent, independent, and dedicated women will create a change for the unacceptable social norms we currently face.

Naava Ellenberg – Barnard College of Columbia University

Barnard College is the sister school of the elite Columbia University, meaning that it’s an all girls school (the most competitive women’s college in the country with an acceptance rate of only 16%). Barnard is a liberal arts college in New York City with a small campus of only 7,000 students. Notable alumni include Martha Stewart and Joan Rivers. Although Barnard is an extremely selective school it’s not surprising Naava was accepted; Naava is president of Lean In (a women’s empowerment club here on the Lincoln campus) and even campaigned for months during the height of the 2016 presidential election for Hillary Clinton. Naava will be majoring in Political Science to assist her in her goal of one day becoming president.

Katie Henriques (left) and Naava Ellenburg posing with cub hands and bearing college gear! Go Bears! (LHS Lion Tales – Taken from Naava’s public instagram account)

Ronnie Rodriquez – Yale University 

Along with an acceptance into one of the most competitive Ivy League universities, Ronnie also received a full scholarship awarded by the Yale ROTC Air Force department. Ronnie is President of the Math Club, a musician in the All Star Santa Clara County Band, and even a varsity swimmer.  Yale is located in New Haven, Connecticut and has an acceptance rate of a mere 6%. Notable alumni include Hillary Clinton and Meryl Streep.

Ronnie Rodriquez sporting her Yale accessories on college day! (LHS Lion Tales – Selfie taken by Ronnie)

Chau Le

Co-editor for LHS Lion Tales Chau will be continuing her talents for writing and journalism at one of the most prestigious schools in the country. Chau’s major is computer science with a minor in math but she does plan to pursue a role in one of the on-campus newspapers. Aside from her dedication to Lion Tales, Chau is a member of the Math Club and prized representative of Lincoln’s Mock Trial team. Georgetown has a very vibrant, active community; no wonder it’s only a few blocks away from the White House. Notable alumni include Jackie Kennedy and Maria Shriver

Chau Le posed for a picture while showing off her new Georgetown cap. (LHS Lion Tales, Hazel Stange)

Jessica Jones – UCLA

Jessica Jones has had a very active presence in the Lincoln community which included playing water polo for the Lady Lions or translating and writing for Lion Tales in AP Spanish translation. Jessica hopes to become a veterinarian, making UCLA (one of the most competitive colleges in the country) a very strong choice. UCLA is located in Westwood, Los Angeles and is known for outstanding extracurricular activities alongside a rigorous curriculum. Notable alumni include Marcia Clark and Shakira.

Jessica Jones announces that she will be attending UCLA in the 2018 school year! (LHS Lion Tales- Taken from Jessica’s public instagram account)

Katie Henriques –  UC Berkeley

Being accepted into any college in the Bay Area as a STEM major is an impressive accomplishment but being enrolled into the best university in the entire country as an engineering major is totally epic. Katie has showcased her many diverse talents at Lincoln differing from our choir department all the way to our varsity swim team. UC Berkeley  is know not only for their intensely competitive programs but their prime location close enough to the mountains, city and beach that you can really have it all. Notable alumni including Missy Franklin and Jennifer Granholm.

For picture see above.

Congratulations ladies we are so happy for you. We accept great things from all of you no matter where you end up. But wherever you may go we will always be proud to call you Lions!