Lion Tales

Lincoln’s Computer Science Program, Love it or Leave it?

Ashley Lejis, Jocelyn Velazquez, and Janae Wietecha showcase their project on Racial Profiling on May 24th, 2018. (Destiny Masciarelli / Lincoln Lion Tales)

On Friday May 4th Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren was scheduled to visit Lincoln’s technology and computer science program and club for a presentation given by the computer science club. Loffergan was coming to see how the department affected the school and what (if any) advantages came with the program in comparison to public high schools that had no similar programs.

Although the Congresswoman was unable to attend the event, the Computer Programing Club gave a presentation on how Ms. Reed’s class and outside resources have bettered their lives. Seniors Maddy Cava and Diana Oliveras both had paid internships at LinkedIn over the previous summer, which is semi unheard of not only for a highschool student but for women. Only 19% of tech employees at Google are female, 18% at Microsoft, and a measly 15% at Twitter. Ms. Reed is personally trying to close this gap by updating her website weekly with available internships and scholarships for those interested in tech, all you need is basic Java programming skills. “It’s intimidating, definitely, to look around and realize that you’re the only woman in the room”, Diana sighed “But it’s comforting to have such a talented female teacher and realize that I can hold my own.

The president of the club, Enzo Fillingari, talked a little about how access to this club and academic program can help jump start careers for those with a passion for computer science. “It’s just such a great program, without it I wouldn’t have had any of my internships or access to jobs because I wouldn’t have a great computer science skill set but who knows, maybe my career won’t even be in computer science, it’s still taught me a lot”.

The students in the Computer Science program had the opportunity to travel to Google Day on the Google campus to test out their coding skills and talk to professionals. “It was great” Maddy Cava laughed, “Everyone was really nice, it was super informative too! I would love to work for Google one day, but that day I felt like I actually did”.

If Mrs. Lofgren had been able to attend this event she would have seen how much of an impact this class makes on its all students. Living in Silicon Valley means that many opportunities that are available for young people are centered around technology and innovation, those opportunities are worthless if people aren’t taught the basic skills that they require. This program helps young girls and minorities that otherwise may not have any opportunities to get involved in tech, thrive in fast paced high intensity companies.