The Jazz Experience: Jazz II Lab in Action for Lincoln Students to Participate in Playing Jazz

Saxophone+Section

Saxophone Section

Jazz II Rhythm Section
Jazz II Rhythm Section

A new installment to the Band Program, Jazz II/Lab class, offers and teaches students to play Jazz.

Craig McKenzie, Band Director of Lincoln High School, reaches out and extends its opportunities to Lincoln students this year in adding this class because of the already high interest in being apart of the Lincoln jazz band.

The “Lion’s Share” of the Formation of Jazz II/Lab

April and May, before the school year ends, is when auditions are held at Lincoln high school to place musicians in the appropriate music class for next year. The most requested and competitive auditions are for a spot on the Lincoln Jazz Band. Both Lincoln students, as well as future Lincoln students, coming from Hoover, Castillero, and Burnett, also audition during this time.

From the many that audition, only 23 students are selected.

No one is guaranteed to return to the Jazz Band every year. Every student, whether they were or were not apart of the school’s current jazz band, must audition in order to get in the preceding school year’s jazz band.

With limited spots for students, those who have participated in the school’s jazz band previously have an advantage in keeping their spot because they are aware of the fundamentals and concepts of jazz.  Students also have an advantage of making the band  unless by taking private lessons or participating in street jazz sit-ins at clubs or gatherings.

It is not impossible to get in the jazz band, but the challenge and competition allows for the best musicians to be selected for this prestigious group.

Jazz II/Lab 

The Jazz II/Lab is a firsthand learning experience in the basic fundamentals of jazz. This class is one of the few offered in the San Jose Unified School District that allows students to learn about jazz and prepare for their chance to make it into the Jazz Band.

With the Jazz II/Lab, students are now part of the school jazz band, learning the basic concepts, and maintaining and progressing their jazz skills.