Tips for a Successful Second Semester

Fallon Ramirez-Lara

A tall stack of textbooks (Fallon Ramirez-Lara/Lincoln Lion Tales)

The weeks following winter vacation can be the most difficult to endure. After countless days have passed without attending school, getting back into the swing of things can prove to be an almost unbearable task. With AP exams and other standardized tests happening in the coming months, much of the student body will find their schedules packed.

This second semester can be intimidating, but having the right resources can lessen the workload and make school more manageable. To do well this semester, here are some tips to keep in mind:

Use a planner to organize your schedule

Dealing with homework and school projects while also juggling activities outside of school is no easy task. Using a planner to write down assignments or weekly goals is a great idea for those with numerous extracurriculars and multiple honors classes. Alternatively, nearly all smartphones have a built-in calendar app, and reminders can be set to notify students of important deadlines as they approach.

Check Infinite Campus regularly

Making sure grades don’t drop is a top priority, especially for those who want to enter a four-year university. The second semester is longer than the first, and often covers more difficult material. Many classes will start moving at a faster pace as teachers prepare their students to move on to the next grade level . Downloading the Infinite Campus app is a simple way to keep track of grades and ensure that any mistakes in the grade book can be resolved quickly.

Purchase Review books

Brands like Barron’s, Princeton Review, and Crash Course offer many review books for AP exams, SATs, and ACTs. These books conveniently condense months worth of material into a single study tool. They also contain numerous test-taking tips that can make exams a less terrifying experience.

Take advantage of technology

Today, students have access to a number of things not available in years past. E-books and apps make learning a breeze, and there are countless websites dedicated to providing students with the material and guidance they need to be successful in school. Of course, the abundance of digital resources given to students today does mean that getting sidetracked is much easier. For anyone who may find it difficult to put down Twitter and finally finish that essay, apps like Breakfree and extensions like Stayfocusd can eliminate these distractions.

Visit the College and Career Center

Instead of handling all the pressures of high school alone, why not get help from the people who have helped hundreds, if not thousands of other Lincoln students graduate? There are several counsellors who work in the Center, and they can help students navigate through many aspects of academic life. From driver’s ed to college applications, the C&C Center is a place where all students can receive advice and support from experts on education.

High school comes with many challenges, but with enough effort, these obstacles can definitely be overcome. The right support system and a good plan of action make school much easier to deal with. It’s also important to remember that what works for one student may not work for another, so experimenting until you come across an arrangement that meets your needs is key!

Additional Resources:

College Board: Manage AP exam scores and register for the SAT

Easybib: Generate Citations

Google Scholar: Find credible sources

Khan Academy: Free online lessons on a multitude of subjects