Art, Everywhere!

Kayla Aryanpour

“Color me Festivity” by Amelia Hernandez

Lincoln High School has excellent art classes taught by the talented Ms. Zamora. The Visual Arts department has five teachers: Ms.  Arredondo, Mr. Resz, Ms. Thai, Ms. Waagen, and the head of the department, Ms.Zamora.  She has three different levels of art classes which are Beginning, Advanced, and AP Art. She teaches 2 advanced classes, 1 beginning, and one AP art class.  Her Advanced Placement class is currently working on Concentration Art which is a body of 12 pieces of work that goes into the students’ portfolio consists of 24 pieces.

Her advanced class is currently working on a more traditional topic, The year of the Monkey which has to do with Chinese Zodiac signs. The students are working on dictionary pages and they are using water colors and ink, which is a contemporary style because they are working on found paper.

Ms. Zamora’s beginning class is working on a very famous style from the 60’s which is color theory of geometric abstraction.  As you see the students get a certain topic or a subject and they have to create a painting based on that specific topic.  As long as they stay in the perimeters of their topic they can draw whatever they please to.  

The students receive around one week and half to finish an Art project, but most of the time it takes a little longer than expected. Once they finish their piece and if they have time they have a whole class critique, but if they don’t the paintings go straight to wherever they are being displayed at.

“Every project is presented as a problem to solve and their are very specific elements and principles of design that they are graded on so it takes the subjectivity out and it makes it very objective,” said Ms. Zamora.

“I am pretty current on what’s going on in the Art world,” Zamora continued, “and I just try to make it like culturally relevant or politically relevant.”

Lincoln’s art students get a chance to display their artwork and show it off at plays Lincoln is having, festivals, or other events.  These classes give students in each grade a chance to express themselves with a paint brush. Their paintings are even sold! You should definitely go see some of the pieces from our very own artist here at Lincoln.