A Greener Campus

Our City Forest teaches Lincoln students the proper way to plant a tree

The Abraham Lincoln student body may have noticed the eight trees, and nearly 100 shrubs that were planted in the front of Lincoln’s campus.

The non-profit organization, Our City Forest selflessly guided Lincoln’s AP environmental science class, and a couple biology and journalism students in planting these trees and shrubs.

“The best thing about student involvement with tree planting, is watching students become protective over plants, and seeing their desire for plants to grow strong and be here for years to come,” says Mrs. Handschuh.

The benefits of having these new trees is, they provide more shade for students during lunch time. It makes our campus look even more beautiful, and it’s a greener environment.

Plus the new trees and shrubs are drought resistant. Which means, they will survive through infrequent watering and weather conditions.

The organization that helped lead these students in the planting, Our City Forest is located here in San Jose on Las Plumas. Lincoln has a pretty good relationship with Our City Forest.

“We have a nursery open to the community, to educate the public, it’s open three times a week,” says Abel Yanez  a volunteer from Our City Forest.

Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, “A nation that destroys it’s soil, destroys itself.Forests are the lungs for our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.”Lincoln students took F.D.R.’s inspirational quote to heart when they worked with Our City Forest to plant the trees and shrubs.