Gender Neutral Restroom Follow-Up Interview: Students’ Thoughts

The new sign indicating that a bathroom is “All Gender”

Jocelyn Insurriaga

A recent proposal was issued to change specific restrooms on the school campus to gender neutral ones, in respect to the transgender and gender-nonconforming students who prefer not to use the traditional girls and boys restrooms. This makes Lincoln the first school in the SJUSD to implement multi-stall, all gender restrooms on its campus.

Lion Tales interviewed 20 people, including students, parents, and teachers for one week, and acquired a plethora of opinions and perspectives on the topic of gender equality. Opinions ranged from understanding, but contradictory, to perplexed. Many of these subjects, however, requested to remain undisclosed. Unfortunately, due to a strict policy regarding anonymous sources, Lion tales was consequently unable to include these interviews.

When asked about the reception of the video discussing the need for gender neutral restrooms in SJUSD schools, which came out before the announcement was made, Amanda (who prefers to be known as Todd), one of the creators, claimed that reception had been neutral up to that point.

Many students were also concerned with getting the entire student population comfortable with its transgender and non-binary subset. The majority of students asked said that such as task would take a while to properly execute, and even during the follow-up interview, many felt unsure of the feasibility of said task.

After news of the restrooms’ implementation broke, some news outlets, such as the San Jose Mercury News and NBC Bay Area began reporting on it. This local recognition was a high point of the all gender restroom implementation, according to Amanda. Despite the fact that the video received no direct acknowledgement from stories by local outlets, recognition of the restrooms alone gave the crew some justification for their efforts.