Finals? Helpful or Damaging?

Long nights, mountains of books, and piles and piles of notes await all Lincoln High School students this much anticipated finals season.

The dreaded finals season has driven students to the edge for years and this year is no exception, according to Sophomore student, Justin Kyle Guia.

“It gets worse every year! I have to study on top of practices and I miss out on a lot of family time, especially during the holiday season. The whole family would be decorating the Christmas tree and I’d be in my room banging my head on books,”  said Justin when Lion Tales asked him about his past finals experiences. “I always stress and end up staring at a page for hours in frustration,” Justin said.

Nevertheless, when Lion Tales asked Justin if he thought finals were beneficial he wasn’t sure how to respond. “I know finals are extremely stressful, but they are meant to be a positive learning experience. I just don’t know if there are more pros than cons.”

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer. Different people and different experiences create varying opinions for everyone.

Regardless, Lincoln Sophomore Eric Escobar is very fond of finals. Lion Tales asked Eric why he enjoyed the finals experience and he responded, “Finals give everyone one last chance to pull themselves together and succeed. It really saves me sometimes. I remember just last year I was failing English but I studied non-stop for the final and raised my grade enough to pass,” he continued.

When the time came for Lion Tales to ask Eric if he believed finals were beneficial, there was not a single hint of hesitation in his response. “Of course they are! I would probably be repeating a ton of classes if it wasn’t for finals giving me a second chance.”

Yet, whether you think finals are a pit of evil, or a helping hand from the heavens, there is no avoiding them.