Gender a No-Go at HoCo?

Lincoln unveils new gender-neutral homecoming court

The annual Big Bone and Little Bone games against San Jose High School are two of the most highly-anticipated events of the year. Though this decades-old tradition has remained largely unchanged since its inception, the addition of a newly formed gender-neutral homecoming court promises to make a big impact at this year’s games.

The idea began when Ms. Eileen Zamora showed a Washington Post article to a few of her Leadership students. This article detailed the story of how one high school in Maryland became one of only a few in the country to adopt a gender-neutral homecoming court. Inspired, members of Lincoln’s ASB set out to bring the policy here.

“When [Ms. Zamora] brought up this idea, I immediately thought, ‘Why haven’t we done that yet?'” said ASB President Cecilia Madrigal.

“Lincoln is possibly one of the most inclusive schools in the district and reading this article…really was a reflection of the changes we’ve had here at Lincoln like the gender-neutral bathrooms. I felt it [was] the right thing to do.”

After discussing this idea with the ASB council, “everyone was all for it,” said Madrigal. Club representatives were next to hear the proposal.

In early October, all club representatives were invited to room 52 as part of a monthly meeting to discuss important events and club-related issues. Here, ASB was also able to share their proposed change to the homecoming court with members from nearly every club at Lincoln.

The response was very positive, and even those who did not fully embrace the concept of gender-neutrality were able to get behind the idea.

“…Everyone seemed on board. A representative from Youth Led by Christ even said ‘Although I don’t believe in gender neutrality, I believe in compassion towards others.’ This comment really stuck for everyone in the room. We all knew there had to be a change,” according to Madrigal.

Though this policy is certainly reflective of the kind of acceptance found at Lincoln, there were still concerns that alumni might disapprove of the sudden change to a tradition that has been around since the 1940s.

“This again, [homecoming] is a standing tradition and the change came very suddenly…we [were] also conflicted [on] whether we should wait until next year to change it,” said Madrigal.

Of course, ASB continued with the plan anyway after seeing the many responses from students who were in support of the idea.

“Essentially, we asked all members nominated how they identified…and how they wanted to be introduced, making sure we follow the “Do Right” model and have an inclusive student body,” said Madrigal. “The reaction to this, that I’ve seen, is overwhelming support…we’ve had comments from teachers saying that Lincoln is really being a model for all other high schools in the nation.”