Beyond The Galaxy: An Out-of-this-World Night Rally Ends Early

Jesse Ruiz

Night rally/School dance on Friday March 10 @6:30pm (Jesse Ruiz/Lion Tales)

As many students have already heard, an incident which occurred during the most recent night rally/school dance was responsible for nearly canceling Prom. However, despite this occurrence, Prom will still go on as planned—with the addition of a few new restrictions.

Students who attended the night rally/school dance were treated to an evening filled with games, food trucks, music, dancing, and more. This event took place on Friday, March 10 at 6:30 PM through 10:30 PM in the gym and featured a new DJ, all organized around a galaxy theme.

The brighter your attire, the easier it was to be seen. Unlike other night rallies/school dances, students from different high schools were allowed to participate as well. The only requirement for students outside Lincoln to attend was a guest pass from ASB leaders. Tickets were sold for $3 for students with ASB, and $5 without ASB in the the week of Monday, March 6 through Friday, March 10.

The rally portion of the night took place during the first 30 minutes, and students were invited to play fun games on the gym floor, or just be a spectator. The next 3 and a half hours were dedicated solely to dancing, and the floor was opened up to everyone. Food trucks and ice cream vendors were posted just outside the gym. The menu included tacos and hot dogs that were sold for $2, ice cream for $2, and beverages for $1.

Since the gym was very dark, supervisors had to use flashlights to see if the students were doing anything inappropriate. If that was the case, they would then be asked to step outside the gym for a warning. If a student continued to consciously engage in inappropriate behavior, they were then asked to leave the dance and go home.

The most notable part of the dance however, was that it ended 30 minutes early due to students smoking marijuana inside the gym. The lights were then turned on and administrators instructed everyone to go home. Due to this, Principal Matthew Hewitson stated that there was a possibility that Prom might be canceled. When ASB was trying to sell ice cream and water after the dance was cancelled, Mr. Hewitson told them to stop selling food since students didn’t know how to act.

Overall, this night rally/dance was a great experience despite the incident.

Matthew Hewiston said, “Overall I thought it was great, the leadership students that planned the dance did a great job of putting [on] a fun event. The rally beforehand—I think it was a great idea.”