Serving The Community

Fernando Serna

Community service form. (Fernando Serna/Lion Tales)

Have you yet to turn in your community service hours?

As of Monday May 8th all students were required to turn in their community service hours to activities director, Kelly Phillips. She is located inside the student services in the far left door. Community service hours is a graduation requirement for all students at Lincoln and must be completed before a certain deadline. For seniors a total of 40 hours is expected in order to attend prom and graduation. As for juniors 30 hours are required to attend prom. Sophomores needed 20 hours and freshman needed 10 hours to also take part in this years prom. The community service hours needed to be completed in any nonprofit organizations for it to be valid. If it was not done in any nonprofit organization then therefore your hours won’t be accepted no exceptions. As a general rule administrators at Lincoln suggest students to at least do 10 hours of community service a year for them not to rush those last hours last minute when due.

Many were aware about the due date for community service hours, however some had no idea. Some have made special arrangements with counselors before of when to turn in community service hours, while others are behind and need to turn them in as soon as possible. If thats you and thats the case then head to either one of the counselors at Lincoln or to the activities director to discuss your plan.

Overall, if you are in need of any assistance to complete community service hours some suggestions of nonprofit organizations near Lincoln include Breakthrough Silicon Valley, Goodwill, and YMCA. Both Breakthrough Silicon Valley and Goodwill are only 5 minutes away from Lincoln. As for YMCA it is just 10 minutes away from Lincoln. There you can volunteer to earn community service hours in order to participate in either graduation or special activities going on at Lincoln.

Activities director, Kelly Phillips said, “Monday was the deadline…so in the real world there’s things like soft deadlines and hard deadlines. Monday was the soft deadline which means this is when you really need to be focusing on getting your stuff turned in.”

However senior at Lincoln, Cesar Garcia doesn’t agree with this requirement and said, “Why are we forced to do community service hours where as other schools don’t?”