Bilingual Student Newspaper of Abraham Lincoln High School, San Jose California.

Lion Tales

PBL Fair: Kids Choice Awards

Congrats to these four winners for placing 1st in this years Kids Choice Awards! (Jesse Ruiz/Lion Tales)

Jesse Ruiz

Jesse Ruiz

Congrats to these two winners for placing 2nd in this years Kids Choice Awards! (Jesse Ruiz/Lion Tales)

A PBL (Project Base Learning) exhibition took place on Thursday May 25th. It was an all day thing starting from period one ending through period six. A variety of projects were all displayed throughout Lincoln’s campus from locations such as the small gym, outside of main gym, quad, and theater. In each period it consisted of different PBL projects/presentations from different students.

This year we decided to do PBL a little different from previous years by having our very own Kids´ Choice Awards. This gave students the chance to vote for the one they thought was their favorite project(s) in the PBL fair. A small booth with flyers was set just outside the small gym for students to cast their votes. Whenever students finished checking out the PBL projects/presentations they headed to the voting booth to vote for the one they believed was the best project(s). Students, teachers, administrators, or anybody had the chance to vote. If wanted to you had the option to vote as much as you wanted. At the end of the day the votes were then counted to see who won this year´s Kids´ Choice Awards. The top 5 best PBL projects received a certificate for their excellence in the 2017 PBL fair.

For 1st place with 27 votes was computer science, Dancing Robots. In addition, for 2nd place with 13 votes was computer science, Virtual Reality. As for 3rd place with 10 votes was Lights, Camera, Tragedy, Julius Caesar. For 4th place with 8 votes was LiMPETS Research & Marine Protective Areas. Lastly, 5th place with also 8 votes was the D/F List at Lincoln.

Overall, the Kids Choice Awards went well giving students the opportunity to input their own opinions on the PBL projects. Moreover, hundreds of votes were cast showing the outstanding participation.

Social sciences teacher, Alison Zuniga said, ¨Started a while ago its actually something that has gone in and out of popularity probably since the 1930s and 1940s.

Below are some projects from the PBL fair:

Dancing Robots PBL project. (Jesse Ruiz/Lion Tales)