Student Spotlight: Winter Break & Second Semester

When first semester finals wrapped up, every student was eager for vacation. Lion Tales talked to LHS students to get an idea of how interesting their vacation really was along with their second semester goals.

Senior Myka Martin

1.How was your winter break and what did you do?

“Over break, I went on a Disney cruise to the Bahamas with my family! It was REALLY great. I got to spend time on a beautiful ship and at the beach. It was even better because there was unlimited soft serve 24/7 on the ship.”

2.What is your New Year’s resolution towards school and your second semester?

“[My school year’s resolution is] to plan ahead. I want to get things done earlier this semester. Last semester was great, but as it progressed, I found myself scrambling to finish things at the last minute more and more often. So this year, I want to think ahead, be always a step ahead of the game so that I can minimize my stress later.”

3.How was your first semester, something positive and negative about it. What would you change about it?

“My first semester was good and went by very quickly. Some of the highlights from last semester were participating in the Big Bone float and planting tress with Our City Forest for A.P.E.S. If I could change one thing from last semester, I would procrastinate less. I never thought senioritis was real, but I think last semester changed my mind.”

4.Do you wish the break was shorter or longer? Why?

“I personally could have used a longer break because I was not able to spend as much time on preparing for school as I wanted and expected to do.”

5.As a senior, this was your last winter break, did you do something different or unique? How do you imagine it next year?

“I think this winter break as a senior was the busiest it has ever been because I had to finish college apps. That was definitely hectic. Next year I think it will be awesome to catch up with everybody over the holidays because all of us seniors will be heading separate ways for school.”

Junior Samantha Villa

“I spent my whole break with my family. It was one of the best breaks I have ever had because the whole family got to take 2 whole weeks off. For Christmas, we went to Disneyland. The experience was amazing! We stayed there for 3 days, from Christmas Eve till the day after Christmas. Disneyland, for those who don’t know, has two parts; one that is actually Disneyland and across the entrance of Disneyland is another park called, Disney’s California Adventure.The first day we spent all in Disneyland itself; we went on all the rides, which were amazing! My favorite was the Indiana Jones Ride; I loved how real the ride felt and all the effects around it.

“On the 2nd day we went to California Adventure. The views in this park were Spectacular; in one section I felt like I was right in Hollywood back in the day, another was A Bug’s Life side, where you felt like a bug yourself in a big world, the third place was Cars themed and the detail in Radiator Springs (the city in the movie) was just like stepping in the world of Cars. One last site was the Boardwalk Area, the boardwalk looked just as real as the boardwalk in Santa Cruz! My favorite ride from this side of the park is Hollywood Tower Hotel or better known as Twilight Zone’s: Tower of Terror. This ride tells a mysterious story of how a once successful hotel turned into a ghostly inn. The last day was more of a free day. We rode rides, got to relax and watch shows then meet different characters! I carried a signature book around with me and visited many characters like the Toy Story Gang, Chip and Dale, Princesses such as Ariel, Cinderella and Aurora, and of course I got to meet the one and only Mickey Mouse! Two characters I was thrilled to meet were the two new princesses, Elsa and Anna! We talked about family and the rides we liked in Disneyland; I could not have been more thrilled.

“Honestly, during my last moments in Disneyland I started to tear because everyone in the park was very kind and the sites were more than beautiful. If someone is a big fan of any type of fun, Disneyland is where you want to spend your time at, there is nothing to regret and this trip is the experience of a lifetime! Once I arrived home, the whole break I thought about Disney and watched every movie possible. I bought a lot from the parks such as cups, toys, and pins; I spent most of my time playing with and enjoying them. My break was the best, considering I got to enjoy it with my family.”

“My New Years resolution for school is to balance myself out. I want to try harder in school, but also have times to do what I love, which is to draw. I believe there is always time to do what you love and the more you get to do it, the happier you are and you begin to appreciate what is around you.”

3. How was your first semester, something good and bad about it. What would you change about it, if you could?

“Unfortunately, my first semester was not as I hoped, I did not organize myself and became very messy. I will change myself by getting assignments done as well as arriving to school on time!”

4. Do you wish the break was shorter or longer? Why?

“I always love a long break, it gives me a chance to relax but also has me realize what I can change toward my attitude in school to make it better for me to be happy and also for the students and teachers around me to be happy.”

5. If you had the opportunity to go back and change something during your break, would you? And what would that be? Have you learned something from this break to apply in future breaks?

“This break was perfect; it gave me a chance to breathe! If I were to change anything, it would be to stay in Disneyland much longer! I wouldn’t say I learned something to apply to other breaks but for everyday, and that is; If you want something, make it happen, you have the power to do whatever you want in the world, so keep your head up high and go for it! There may be a few dips here and there, but as long as you can look past them and realize the lessons you get out of them, you take a step closer to what you want. “
Sophomore Veronica Farrell
“Some things I did over the break was help my mom prepare for all the parties she threw and throws along with catching up on sleep that was long needed after first semester.”
“It is to try my best in all of my academic subject classes, especially math. Last year, I did not try as hard as I should have.”
“Something good about first semester was that I got more familiar with the tough workload and something bad was I got lower grades than was expected of me.”
“I actually liked how long Lincoln’s winter break actually is, the only thing I would change is for the first week back, it would be nice to have minimum days.”
Though the holidays just ended, students are eager for the next break. But until then, everyone is eagerly working hard in their academics to make their second semester a great one.