New California Law Will Help the First Year of College Become Free

Bill signed by Gov Jerry Brown will help students save thousands.

It’s a joyous day for all low-income families in California! On Friday, October 13, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill that will make the first year of college tuition free. As long as the student is a resident of California and is enrolled in community college full-time, then they will be given financial aid for their first year. This wonderful bill is called “The College Promise Campaign”. It was mostly heard of when former-president Barack Obama encouraged that community college become free for responsible students. Although, it seems like we have a lo

ng way to go before that happens it could be nearer than you think.

Alex Mahadevan, a reporter for “The Penny Hoarder” writes, “California isn’t the first state to expand free college tuition offerings. Eleven other states provide state wide scholarship programs similar to the legislation Brown signed Friday.”

With this bill, students will save about $1,100 because it’s averagely $46 per credit when there’s 24 credits per year. For the Lincoln community this is a big deal, this promise will help so many students who’s parents didn’t go to college.

Kianna Benitez
Nearby Community College San Jose City!

“The College Promise Campaign” promises to “Increase the Cal Grant B Access award, increase the competition for Cal Grants, and make it easy for non-traditionally aged students to receive a Cal Grant. In addition, build on the national momentum to create structured pathways for students to reduce time to completion and cost of education.

Thanks to this bill loads of low-income California families including the Rose Garden community, will be able to save more towards other important expenses besides college. So check with your local community college to see if the College Promise Campaign is active!