How Old is the Big Bone Rivalry?

Special Big Bone issue of Lincoln Lion Tales of 1945 shows that the rivalry began in 1943.

On Thursday, November 17 Barbara and Tim Peddy, historians for the San Jose High School Heritage Room, paid a visit to Lincoln High School. The pair came in the hopes of finally verifying the date that Big Bone, America’s longest continuously played Thanksgiving high school football game west of the Mississippi, began on.

San Jose high school’s records showed two start years, both 1943 and 1944. However, after sifting through Lion Tales archives it could finally be verified that the Big Bone game began in 1943. An issue from 1945 stated that the third game, or “rubber match,” occurred that year, making it the third year of the rivalry. That, and simple math  make the first Big Bone game in 1943, making 2017 the 75th year of the rivalry.

The most interesting part of the hour, however, was hearing about Barbara’s job running the Heritage Room. Barbara became interested in her fellow San Jose High alumnus impact on the world after her three siblings began their military service, she began to contact hundreds of alumni to see they were shaping their community. Barbara then took on the task of restoring the San Jose High School Heritage Room in the hopes that future students would know and appreciate their school alumni’s rich history of politicians, activists, and artists.

A large piece of not only SJ High School’s history but Lincoln’s history as well as Lincoln’s 19 years long Big Bone victory streak. Maybe this year is your year San Jose High… but probably not. Big Bone stays home!