Lion Tales

Filed under Community, Showcase

2018 Women’s March

San Jose Women's March on January 20, 2018 (Siena da Costa Pinto/ Lincoln Lion Tales)

Defaced Trump caricatures hung over the crowd and the shouts of empowered women filled the air, again. The nation fought from the beginning of 2017 until the end, for Intersectional feminism, the rights of women, LGBTQ community, immigrants, people of color and more, and are doing it, again, in 2018.

The question the hung in the air was why are we marching again?  This year, the Women’s March was an effort to recall the power of women in their voice when voting, to promote voting in the midterm elections coming in November 2018, and installing powerful women in Federal and State Government positions. There have been a number of losses in the last year for minority groups, however, recent elections have shown a spike in democratic wins, and this year’s march hoped to motivate people to take political action for causes they believe in.

Just like the 2017 march, people of all genders and ages attended to fight for their rights or show their support, empower women to vote, and be politically active to ensure women have equal representation in our government. Since the 2016 presidential election, the United States has seen a spike in democratic and female wins, in special and local elections. In light of more and more people employing the first amendment, the nation has seen a shift to a politically passionate society, especially among its youth. An abundance of adolescents attended the march to fight for their own future and the future of others. The 2018 Women’s March was the start of a year another of activism, unity, and perseverance. 

Lion Tales interviewed attendees at the event and put together a short video, seen above, capturing the experience.

Click this link to view if the video is not playing below.

About the Writer
Siena da Costa Pinto, Reporter

Siena da Costa Pinto is a senior at Lincoln High School, in San Jose, Calif. Siena enjoys art and music. She was born here in San Jose. She has traveled across the globe, from South America to Europe. Siena goes surfing in Santa Cruz and bakes cookies in her free time. She is currently taking steps toward a post-Lincoln life in college.