New Teacher: Mr. Cary

Correction (2/13/19): Jamil Cary’s name was misspelled at Cary Jamil in a previous edition of the story. This has been corrected to reflect his name, Jamil Cary.

Mr. Jamil Cary begins the 2018-2019 school year at Lincoln. This is Mr. Cary’s first year as a teacher, teaching Spanish (Nancy Quintana / Lincoln Lion Tales).

Nancy Robles and Sharilyn Munoz

Lincoln usually welcomes a new teacher every year. This year, Lincoln welcomed nine new teachers. One of those teachers is  Jamil CaryMr. Cary is a new Spanish teacher here at Lincoln High School. He was born in Phoenix, Arizona and attended California State University at Monterey Bay for undergrad and received his Bachelor’s in Spanish. For grad school he attended the University of San Diego and got his credentials in English and Spanish. He also received his masters in Education.

Being a teacher was always part of the plan for Mr. Cary. Growing up, he believed that he was going to have four jobs. His four dream jobs were: doctor, priest, teacher, and archaeologist. When he became older, he thought he was going to be a doctor. Then, he took AP Bio and had to dissect things. He found out then that becoming a doctor was not for him.

As an undergrad, while studying Spanish he was working as a tutor. The students he tutored told him should become a teacher. Mr. Cary is teaching for his very first time, teaching his first full year at Lincoln.

Mr. Cary choose Lincoln High School because he said it was “amazing.” What sold him was that the mascot was a lion because it’s his favorite animal.

When he started to research the school, he liked how this school provided a lot of extra curricular activities, programs offered such as music and dance which made him want to become a part of Lincoln. He liked how Lincoln values diversity which was a huge thing for him. One example of this is when the students at Lincoln fought for an all gender bathroom in the main building, he thought it was “cool.”

Mr. Cary, when asked for advice, tells Lion Tales this: “try to find a different side to whatever subject.”