Lion Tales

Filed under Community

Tizapan October Festivities

Fiestas San Francisco de Asis in Tizapan 2018. ( fed_jalisco_internacional./ via Instagram)

Each year, in Tizapan El Alto, a city in the state of Jalisco, a festival called Fiestas de Octubre occurs. The festival celebrates the construction of the most important structure and saint of the town, San Francisco De Asis.

The temple of San Francisco de Asis was built in 1836 and was completed and inaugurated on October 4th, 1904. An interesting part is Tizapan El Alto, Jalisco each year has over 10,000 visitors and locals alike this beautiful and amazing event.

Every year the festival starts with a parade, or pilgrimages, all the way to the church each of the neighborhoods carry flags of the La Virgen de Guadalupe with their saints. There are always two pilgrimages a day; approximately 300 people walk in each parade. Each parade has  different things. Including one day when all the children from the surrounding neighborhoods participate by walking, dancing, and singing.

At night is when all the fun starts because everyday there are foods stands (Tacos,Birria, Pozole, Sopes, drinks), and kids pottery stands. Also, there are mariachis, bands, norteños (northern sets), singers and dances throughout the plaza. A lot of people visit the church in the morning or afternoon at night the fireworks, castle, and bulls can be seen at 10PM at the entrance of the temple. A day before the last celebration of the Fiestas at 12 midnight a mariachi goes and plays inside the church by honoring the saint of the town San Francisco De Asis with song “Las Mañanitas” then a mass. I would say  if you like to party and have a good time then the fiestas are for you.     

About the Writer
Ignacio Rosales, journalist

Ignacio Rosales  is a senior at Abraham Lincoln High School  but like to be called Juan Camaney. He is born and raised in San Jose California and  likes to play soccer but his favorite position is being goalkeeper also likes to travel a lot to his father’s hometown Tizapan el Alto which is located in the central- western part of Jalisco Mexico. Likes to party with friends and family and likes to bring the band until the morning. His goal after school is to keep going to college study or either be a maintenance engineer for commercial airlines or a car mechanic specializing in exotic sports cars. Likes to go to the beaches in Nayarit Mexico.

Ignacio Rosales es estudiante de último año en Abraham Lincoln High School, pero le gusta ser llamado Juan Camaney. Nació y se crió en San José, California, y le gusta jugar fútbol, ​​pero su posición favorita es ser portero. También le gusta viajar mucho a la ciudad natal de su padre, Tizapan el Alto, que se encuentra en la parte central occidental de Jalisco, México. Le gusta salir de fiesta con amigos y familiares y le gusta traer la banda hasta la mañana. Su objetivo después de la escuela es seguir estudiando en la universidad o ser un ingeniero de mantenimiento para aerolíneas comerciales o un mecánico de autos especializado en autos deportivos exóticos. le gusta ir a las playas en Nayarit Mexico.