Computer Science: Now an A-G Science Class

students help each other to understand the code to make a website or a simple game

Recently, The University of California agreed to make computer science an A-G science class. This is beneficial for students who love to code and want to earn their credits. Miss Reid, a computer science teacher at Lincoln High School wants as many of her students as possible to join other similar classes Lincoln has to offer. “Its a basic skill. We live in the digital age and it’s a skill we should all know because we all have access to smartphones tablets and computers.  Everything uses technology so like reading, writing and math; digital science is another skill to enhance their abilities and have more opportunities.” Computer science gives students a chance to express themselves and work with each other. “Students learn computational skills and how to break up big problems into smaller problems and learn about privacy, about web design, about robotics about coding basics, and virtual reality. Just being exposed to the different  mediums of technology[is beneficial for the students]”. 

Room 3 Ms.Reid in intro to computer science helping a student

By taking this class, you get many opportunities for your voice to be heard as well as determine if you want to continue in this field. Miss Reid is trying to get students to join AP Computer Sciences Principles by telling her students to spread the word to their friends, but what is AP Computer Sciences Principles? Miss Reid described it as “an intermediate level course of computer science for non engineering students. To be aware and learn the basic [skills] of computer science like privacy, data, algorithms and digital citizenship. How to go about tackling a problem and make an app in a specific portal or language and it’s fun”. You might be asking, what benefits will I get if I take this class? Miss Reid stated: “It will open doors for them. Only about 25% of schools in California offer computer science and there’s a great demand of people with those skills. Not many schools offer it hopefully that will change with time”. 

Students working on Ada Coding to learn how to use java script, CCS( Cascading Style Sheets) and HTML(“Hypertext Markup Language).

Now, The University of California has made computer science the third course for the science [category], they are hoping that other states will follow in their lead.” When this happened, students and administration were ecstatic because it got them closer to their goal of more advanced (digital) education as well as more options for students to choose from. “As we have English and Math in preschool and kindergarten, we need to have exposure [to digital classes] as young as first and second grade so they feel comfortable by the time they get to middle school or high school, so it doesn’t seem so foreign because computer coding is a language communicating through the computer.¨