Bilingual Student Newspaper of Abraham Lincoln High School, San Jose California.

Lion Tales

Lion Tales

Lion Tales

Folklorico: Lincoln’s Latino Legacy

Xochitl Cultural shines bright

Folklorico has evolved in so many ways here in San Jose, especially in schools.

What Lincoln high school has that I think no other school does is a folklorico team. You might be thinking, “don’t schools have at least a folklorico club” and the answer is yes, some do. Lincoln is the only school that actually has a team that represents the school here in San Jose. Xochitl Cultural has been alive since 1990’s and has continued to blossom through the years.

For me, folklorico is something that has been in my life for years. Growing up in San Jose made me realize that this community loves to show off our cultures, and it made me feel like I could be more connected with my culture and not be embarrassed. In San Jose, I realized that there aren’t many folklorico groups here in the community. When I hear news like that it makes me want to express my culture and folklorico more, and be able to make this community a safe place to express their cultures. For me, folklorico is a safe place and I hope everyone can feel that.

As a latina in this community I had always felt like there wasn’t a huge folklorico community in San Jose. San Jose is very known for showing their culture but I didn’t see many folklorico companies in San Jose. When I found out I had the opportunity to come to Lincoln it made me feel so excited to be able to have the opportunity to even audition for Xochitl Cultural. When I saw I had made the team I was full of emotion and was excited to feel more connected to my culture.

I have been part of Xochitl Cultural and I can say it has been an experience that I do not regret. I have gotten close to friends but even closer to my culture. To say that I am representing my school every single time I perform is a privilege. Every single time Xochitl performs I can see the excitement and happiness we bring to people, they get a feeling of being able to share their culture with the community. When people think of folklorico they think of Xochitl Cultural and when they think of Xochitl they think of Lincoln.