Convertibles Go To Nationals

Lincoln’s premiere dance team is going to nationals next week in Anaheim, CA. Being a performing arts magnet school, every student should be delighted to know that Convertibles will be going to nationals, representing the Lions.

The United Spirit Association (USA) Nationals are happening next weekend. USA is considered by many to be the greatest training camp and special events organization in western United States. The Convertibles go to nationals every year; the location is different every other year. Last year they went to Florida, this year they are heading to Southern California.

To get this far, the team had to learn their competition dances very early, practice them and then compete for regionals. Instructor Danial George expects that the members “dance their best and do their best on stage,” hoping that by doing so, it will be enough.

Senior and convertibles member for two years, Bella Stojanov told Lion Tales that getting this far has been anything but easy. The team has more intense practices; on Monday and Wednesday, they meet from 5:30-8:30. However, the team also has an additional smaller team who learn smaller dances so they have to commit even more time. Stojanov talked about how juggling school and rehearsals is extremely difficult. Since she also does sports, it becomes even more hard. She said she would have “triple days.”

“I would go to morning practice for Water Polo, then actual school, have more athletic prep, then have Convertibles rehearsal,” added Stojanov about her schedule.  Her biggest help was advisory: many students take advisory lightly, however it is a great time to complete your work, especially if you are  part of sports or arts programs.

“Dance has improved a lot of my skills and taught me so much more; I will be sure to continue dance in college,” she continued. Since Stojanov is a Senior, she will miss a lot of things.

Sophomore Jennie DeAnda, in her second year on the team, informed Lion Tales that this year she was nervous because this year the contest is harder and they will be going against better teams.

“We have been practicing since October, sometimes we are here until 8,” said DeAnda. She added, “school work is hard; missing school because we go out of town and rehearsals make homework and other school work ten times harder – I have to be on the top of everything.”

DeAnda, along with many other members, are looking forward to Disneyland. It is their favorite part of the tournament because it is the only stress free part of the experience.

Lincoln’s student body wishes the Convertibles team the best and hopes for them to return victorious and have fun out there as they represent Lincoln.

Congrats Convertibles & good luck!