Student Ideas Funded to Improve School in “Thinkin’ Lincoln” Contest

Richard Nguyen

Left to Right: Zachary Brown, Esteban Garcia, Cara Oakes, Sydney Harris, Aaron McNelis, Jackie Carillo, Olivia Brashears, Vanessa Zavalia, and finally Eric Escobedo.

In the Media Center on April 25th, the “Thinkin’ Lincoln” contest came to a close. Three teams made it, with the winning team getting their idea implemented, along with a cool $300 to be split among the members.

Haven’t heard about “Thinkin’ Lincoln?” Thinkin’ Lincoln is a contest hosted by the Lincoln Foundation, an assortment of alumni, parents, and community members, to improve our wonderful high school! Teachers can request funding from the Lincoln Foundation, so be sure to look out for opportunities. Ms. Berryhill’s and Mr. Erlendsen’s classes participated in it.

The three finalist teams and their ideas are:

First Place:  Zachary Brown, Eric Escobedo, and Esteban Garcia with their idea of a water bottle refilling station. The station will feature cooled and filtered water. It will also be located indoors to protect it from dastardly vandals!  This proposal was selected to be funded, so look for the filling station in the future at a yet to be determined location on Lincoln’s campus.

Second Place:  Olivia Brashears, Aaron McNeil, Vanessa Zavalia, and Jackie Carillo. Their idea is replacing Lincoln’s current lawn with a breed of grass that requires less water. This would help with upkeep costs, freeing up funding for other purposes.

Third Place:  Sydney Harris and Cara Oakes. They would install skateboard lockers, it would keep skateboards nice and safe, they would also free up normally skateboard-wielding students hands. Students would’ve had to bring their own locks though.

Congratulations to all teams for their ideas on how to make Lincoln a better school!