Sidewalk Chalk Project Brings New Art to Lincoln

Geometry students constructed pieces of art using geometric shapes and artistic self-expression.

High contrast is the game, geometric chalk art the game

Though it was a cloudy day, that didn’t stop the art from being created.

Ms. Reid‘s Geometry students spent the morning of May 20 planning out and drawing chalk designs on the ground of the pit. From 1st period until 5th period, the artists skipped their other classes and enjoyed camaraderie with other geometry students participating in the event. The students referenced designs that they had previously created on paper and transferred them on to concrete, a process that took multiple hours.

“It’s really hands on learning…It brings people together,” said Ms. Reid.

It’s not just a fun activity, though. There’s math involved in the entire process of creating the chalk designs. Ms. Reid explained, “It’s fun. It’s engaging. It’s math. It’s art. They apply their math skills in real-life application. We use ratios, proportions, and color schemes. We’re playing with geometric abstraction. They have to use geometric tools like a compass and a yardstick.”

Sophomore Alexis Sanchez told Lion Tales that his chalk art project included “multiplying measures times 2.5. Learning to use geometric shapes and applying them to bigger surfaces.”

Another artist, sophomore Christian Ramirez said, “It’s not only math, but incorporates art. The scaling was hard, but it got easier as it went along. The project was really tiring and tedious.”

Stand-out chalk designs and Lion Tales staff favorites included these three pieces of art:

IMG_4171  IMG_4141  IMG_4154

Congratulations to all geometry students who participated in the third annual Sidewalk Chalk Day! All designs were impressive, and brought much-needed color to Lincoln’s campus. Sadly, the art is just temporary, but it gives an idea of how great Lincoln could look with more additions of permanent artwork, like murals, and dashes of color here and there.

Until the rain washes them away, these fabulous chalk designs can be seen any time of day in the Pit behind the main building.

There was a snazzy pair of boots that were found in the clean-up, they are in the Lost & Found in Student Services

Is this your pair of boots?
Is this your pair of boots?