Lincoln Wind Ensemble Performs at Trace Elementary

Lincoln’s wind ensemble line up with Trace’s mascot in the middle during the flag raising.

Elementary students in awe, band members playing college fight songs on the Trace stage, band director Craig McKenzie’s hands swaying back and forth as the musicians followed his signals, and Trace’s mascot running back and forth in front of the stage. This lively event happened last Friday as part of San Jose Unified’s district-wide college week.

The Lincoln band performed a variety of college fight songs for the elementary school students on Trace’s outdoor stage. The weather was cloudy and cold, but the band was still able to captivate the students when they began playing their songs.

The first song the band played was “Lincoln Fight Song,” which is a traditional song that has been played for decades at our school. From the first song to the last, the students cheered and clapped excitedly.

Songs performed included “Hey Baby” by Margaret Cobb, The Muppets theme song by Jim Henson and “Timber” by Pitbull feat. Ke$ha.

Trace Elementary holds a flag raising ceremony every Friday morning. When asked why Lincoln’s band was asked to perform at Trace, Mr. McKenzie said “Trace Elementary asked Lincoln if our band could perform a couple of songs for college week at Trace and their weekly flag raising.”

There were over 200 students, teachers, and parents at the event, with a special appearance by Trace’s school mascot, a tiger.

The entire performance lasted 45 minutes. Overall, it was a very successful event and the school enjoyed the performance by the band under the leadership of Mr. McKenzie.