Student Perspective: The Dreaded Freshman Year

Jonathan throws Javier into a dumpster.

Incoming freshmen sometimes assume that they will be dumped into trash cans, thrown into toilets, or bullied by big, scary, students.

As an incoming freshman, it is hard to imagine what high school will be like, but it’s not that bad. An easy way to enjoy your year is to join a sport, club, or other activity so that you may meet new people and make new friends.

We interviewed Isabel Mendoza, a freshman at Lincoln.

Q:How did you feel about starting at another school as a freshman?

A: I felt excited and nervous because I couldn’t wait for sports and I was really nervous to get hard classes.

Hopefully this never happens to you. Don't worry, the bullies at Lincoln don't normally do this.
Hopefully this never happens to you. Don’t worry, the bullies at Lincoln don’t normally do this.

Q: Is high school just like you thought it would be?

A: There were more people in high school than I had expected.

Q: Why was Lincoln your first choice?

A: I chose Lincoln because it is a blue ribbon school, it is close to my home, and I have many siblings at the school.

Q: Is high school better than middle school?

A: High school is better because they explain things more simply than in middle school.

We also interviewed Kaitlin Poulain, a senior, about her experiences.

Q: Do you think you matured more between your freshman and senior year? Why or why not?

A: Yeah, I think I matured. Freshman year I didn’t really care [about] doing anything in the classes because they were really easy and the classes have gotten harder and I have to pay attention more.

Q: What has changed during your four years?

A: At school I know more people now and that’s pretty cool… when I arrived at Lincoln, I only  knew a grand total of six people and now I know most of the senior class because I see them all the time. I don’t know, school hasn’t really changed.

Q: As a freshman, how did you feel about starting high school?

A: As a freshman, I was really scared. Like I said, I didn’t know anyone, only my best friend.

Javier has an interesting freshman perspective, with his head on the inside of a trash can.

Q: Is there any advice that you can give to a current freshman?

A: Try your hardest in school because if you don’t have good grades it comes and kills you in the end. I don’t have a good GPA because of my freshman and sophomore year and that makes it really hard for me because I want to apply to college [and] I don’t have a competitive GPA.  You really want to try to get an A, even if your class is really hard.