Month of May: Upcoming Events and Countdown to Summer

(Juan De Anda / Lion Tales)

Summer vacation is approaching quickly, but there are still a number of weeks until school ends. Here are some important upcoming events:

Prom: Saturday, May 14

Prom will be held at the Marriott downtown in less than a week. Tickets are still being sold, but the final day to purchase them is Thursday, May 12. Those who plan to attend Prom should make sure they have their debts cleared, as well as a sufficient number of community service hours. For more information on Prom, check out the Prom Watch stories on the site.

Performing Arts

Performances from the orchestras, concert bands and choirs will be held in the coming weeks. Tickets will cost $10, but students will be able to purchase tickets for only $5.

Monday, May 16 7:00 pm — Orchestras at Lincoln Glen Church

Tuesday, May 17 7:00 pm — Concert Bands at SJSU Concert Hall

Saturday, May 21 4:00 pm — Choirs at Family Community Church

The Drama department’s One Act Play Fest will be held from May 18-20. Tickets will cost $12, but students can purchase them for only $10, with a student ID.

Tickets for both events can be purchased at LincolnPerformingArts.com

Finals: Tuesday, May 31–Thursday, June 2

Memorial Day is on Monday, May 30, so students will only attend school on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of that week. This semester, each period of finals week will only last 1 hour and 45 minutes as opposed to last semester, when each period lasted for 2.5 hours. Sites like RogerHub–a grade calculator–can give you an idea of how well you need to do on the final in order to pass with the grade you want.

Graduation: Wednesday, June 1

Graduation will be held on June 1 at the Rose Garden on Naglee. The event will begin at 1:30 pm, and will feature performances from choir and band groups. The complete list of all SJUSD graduation and promotions dates are available here. Seniors will have to go to mandatory practices for the ceremony, so don’t miss out!

Summer School

Students who need to make up credit for failed classes will have to enroll in summer school. To graduate, SJUSD requires students to have 220 credits. This year, summer school will begin on June 6 and last until June 23. This letter has all the important information that students attending summer school should know.

Other Important Reminders

Yearbooks are being sold for $100, and anyone interested in purchasing one can head to Room C in the basement.

Students who have to pay for AP Exams, missing books, or other debts should consider doing so before the school year ends. In previous years, students were required to be debt-free at summer orientation to receive a locker, so handling any unpaid fees now will make the process much easier.

Athletes should note dates for summer practice sessions, which can be found on Lincoln’s main site.

School ends in a few weeks, so talk to teachers about any problems regarding grades before finals approach to ensure the issue is resolved.

The final day of school is Thursday, June 2—less than four weeks away!