May Artist of The Month: Elena Jorgensen

(Lincoln Lino Tales/Fallon Ramirez)
“After Party” by Elena Jorgensen

This is the last month of the 2015-2016 school year, and for the last Artist of The Month we proudly nominate, Elena Jorgensen. Elena, seventeen, is a Junior here at Lincoln High School , and she is a student in Ms. Zamora’s AP 2D Art class.

As Elena entered elementary school, her interests started to revolve around art, and that’s were hair main source of passion for arts came from, “I got into art through programs at my elementary school,” Elena says. Though her family is not very artistic, they appreciate art, so her aunts and uncles always took her to museums. During the time she spent at museums, she learned to appreciate art, and as she got involved in more and more art programs, she started to enjoy art. And now Elena along with our March Artist of The Month Givanni Flores lead the NAHS club.

Elena mostly enjoys to use “watercolor and oil paints.” She also mentioned that she is “definitely planing on pursuing a career in arts in the future,” she added that she is “not sure about what sort of art yet though, but hopefully something that I will be able to support myself with.”

During our interview with Elena, she mentioned that she likes 2D art, however she really wants to learn different styles, she wants to expand her knowledge of art. Some of the art styles she is interested in learning include: Sculpting, architecture, web design and so much more that she was unable to list all of them on her fingers.

Elena is “really glad that Lincoln has an art program and that students have the opportunity to succeed in this program.” She also thinks ” Lincoln’s art program could be better advertised and show cased around the campus. Students are recognized by school over the announcements and have their pieces shown in local galleries or even in the capital building in Washington D.C. they receive no school wide recognition.”

Art is more then just a hobby for Elena, “I make art because I like to. Sometimes art is how I express myself but other times I paint something just because I think it’s pretty.” And it brings many feelings to her, “Usually during the creation process of my art piece, I am extremely frustrated, but after I complete the piece I feel very satisfied and somehow convince myself to start another one.”

The above art piece by Elena is called “After Party,” and she made this piece to capture the empty glowing feelings left over after bright and loud parties. Elena informed us about the challenges she faced when creating this art piece, “I had a rough time with the perspective and getting the reflections on the street but I liked mixing the colors and creating such a bright scene,” which we can see through the dark and light contrast that she has created with the street and the sky.

For her personal connection to this piece, Elena said “I feel connected to the contrast between the bright colors and the dark empty night, the mood of the piece can be interpreted so many ways and I think everyone will feel differently when looking at my art piece, because it depends on their experiences.”

We congratulate Elena on her accomplishment as the May Artist of The Month!