BASEBALL: Varsity Lions Dominate the Bulldogs for the 36th Time

(Juan De Anda/ Lincoln Lion Tales)

A rivalry that dates back to the beginning of Lincoln High School, the Lions beat the Bulldogs for the 36th time in a row, on Monday March 13th. The Bulldogs lost on their own field the final score being 15-1. The Lions had a total of 13 hits compared to the bulldogs who had 2 hits. Ernesto Hernandez was the star of the game with 5 RBIs and 3 hits leading his team in both of those categories.

Fernandez had more hits and RBIs than San Jose High combined. Moses Pena and Michael Funes both had one hit, those two being the only hits the team got. San Jose High for the season has .211 batting average and a 0-5 record.

Ernesto is having a pretty successful beginning of the season going 12 for 25 with 14 RBIs, two doubles/triples with a  .480 batting average. Ernesto is not the only player having success his freshman teammate Weston Scoffone has 7 hits and 6 RBIs with a .500 batting average, while Sophomore Gus Murphy has had 11 hits and 8 RBIs with a .478 batting average. “It’s always nice to win a game like that,” Coach Stuart Piraro said after the win, “but we have to be more concerned [about] how we play.”

On Deck:

Piraro and the rest of the team look forward to their next home game on Friday, March 17th at 3:30 against Del Mar. After that, they prepare to play their first league game at Leigh High School Tuesday, March 21st at 3:30pm.