Lion Tales

Filed under Op/Ed, Reviews

Ghost In The Shell Movie Review

( Paramount Pictures/ Dreamworks )

( Paramount Pictures/ Dreamworks )

( Paramount Pictures/ Dreamworks )

Cyborgs. Mega corporations. Outlaws. Masamune Shirow’s Ghost In The Shell series has long been known for it’s thrilling visuals and action alongside introspective themes on the human condition. Although originating in 1989, the series has been gaining popularity worldwide to this day.

Paramount’s live action release, starring Scarlett Johansson, promises an updated recreation of it’s source material, with a bigger budget to boot.

Set in future Japan, Ghost in the Shell follows ‘Major’ (Scarlett Johansson), the first human to have their brain transplanted in an artificial body, as she works as an agent for the corporation that saved her. Eventually, Major uncovers secrets about her past, and begins to question her so-called saviors.

Cinematographer Jess Hall believed remakes are challenging because of the pressure to honor the original according to an interview with Variety. Thankfully, his efforts on Ghost in the Shell were not in vain, and when combined with the movie’s color, costumes, and CGI create an overall visually stunning production. The atmosphere, which was heavily improved upon by the movie’s soundtrack, also felt realistic and satisfying. The movie manages to build it’s world in a way that gives the viewer room for interpretation.

Although Ghost in the Shell’s presentation is phenomenal, it’s story and character development can leave a little to be desired. A lack of insight into the lives of characters beside Major, namely her sidekick Batou (Pilou Asbæk) and one of the main antagonists Kuze (Michael Pitt) was disappointing, especially given their performances and dynamic they develop with Major.

In terms of action, Ghost in the Shell is packed with memorable moments. Whether Major was taking on multiple enemies in hand to hand combat, jumping through a window in slow motion, or running on walls, every experience was exciting.

Overall, Ghost in the Shell was enjoyable, intense, and visually appealing. Despite some minor narrative missed opportunities, it manages to stay engaging throughout it’s 106 minute run time, and is definitely worth a watch.