Bilingual Student Newspaper of Abraham Lincoln High School, San Jose California.

Lion Tales

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Real Madrid Takes the Intense 2017 Champions League Final

This year Cardiff City hosted arguably one of the most anticipated soccer matches of the year, the UEFA Champions League Final.

This year’s final was between Real Madrid, the champions of Spain, and Juventus, the champions of Italy. The game took place at the Principality Stadium on Saturday June 3,2017 at 11:45 a.m. This was the most important game in Europe and a lot of people around the world knew that this game was worth watching.

The tension on the field was incredibly high, before kick off both Juve fans and Madrid fans were jumping around and waiting for the ref to start the game. The first half was very intense, Juventus was playing at its maximum: their pressure was really hard and they were not letting any Madrid fans pass through their side.

Madrid was having a hard time trying to move the ball around, but after 20 minutes Madrid’s best player Cristiano Ronaldo scored in the 20th minute and this was like a stab in the heart for Juventus. After this goal  the game changed a lot.

But seven minutes later, there is a cross in the penalty box and Juventus’ Mandzukic did an amazing bicycle kick and scored an amazing goal. This goal will be always remembered because for a player to score this way takes a lot of ability and courage, especially in such a big game.

Second half started, and Real Madrid had absolute control of the game; Casemiro scored at the 61st minute, after this goal Juventus players were very tired and couldn’t perform well. Madrid was passing the ball amazingly well and the game was almost ending, Juventus didn’t wanted to give up but they knew they didn’t had enough time.

The nail in the coffin for Juventus would come just within two minutes of Casemiro’s goal. Luka Modric intercepts a Juventus pass, he darts into the edge of the box and crosses the ball. At the end of the cross was Cristiano Ronaldo, and he puts the ball away into the back of the net. Juventus was now losing 1-3.

After conceding the third goal manager Massimiliano Allegri would substitute in Juan Cuadrado for Andrea Barzagli, and within four minutes of this substitution, Allegri would bring in Claudio Marchisio for Miralem Pjanic. Allegri hoped that these changes to the squad could bring Juventus back, however that’s not what happened.

At the 83rd minute, after a controversial call from the referee, Juan Cuadrado would get a second yellow card and with that he received a red card. Juventus was now playing with ten men against Real Madrid. At this point all hope of Juventus winning the Champions League were decimated.

In the 90th minute, Real Madrid youngster Marco Asensio received a low cross from Madrid left back Marcelo, and he put in the cross, making the game 1-4.

After 2 minutes of stoppage time, the referee blew the final and Real Madrid had won their 12th Champions League, with Cristiano Ronaldo winning the Golden Boot (award for most goals scored).

Although Juventus did have a strong side, they did not have the quality on the bench as Real Madrid did. Madrid had players like Alvaro Morata, Gareth Bale, James Rodriguez, and Marco Asensio, which let them keep the ball and try not to let it go until the last minutes of the game. Juventus on the contrary did have good players, but they did not have the world class quality bench that Real Madrid did.