How To Prepare For The SAT

As High School students  taking the SAT is something that we will more than likely experience. This standardized test is primarily used for college admissions. The SAT will test your skills in math, critical reading, and writing. You can l choose to take subject test as well, to showcase your strengths in certain subjects. Preparation for the SAT is vital to get an ideal score. Here are some ways to make sure you are ready the day you receive the test:

Organize a study schedule: Creating a schedule will encourage you to take the time to review some of the material that you will be tested on. Creating a study schedule will start to make studying a habit!

Know your areas of strength and weaknesses: For example if you are doing incredibly skilled at math and you struggle when it comes to writing, use more of your study time on practicing your writing skills.

Practice vocabulary: Vocab questions are throughout the SAT and they seem easy, however if you are practicing SAT vocabulary you will have a higher chance of getting the answer right.

Get familiar with the test environment: The test environment is grueling experience. The SAT is 3 hours and 50 minutes long with short breaks. You will be writing an essay so it is best to get familiar with writing in-class essays.

Prepare yourself: Getting less than 8 hours of sleep and waking up late, will NOT help you for the day of the test. You want to be calm the day of the test, rushing yourself because you got up late will only put your scores at risk.

The juniors at Lincoln High School will be taking the SAT on Wednesday March 7th. To find out what class you will be taking the test, there is a list in front of the main office letting you know. Lincoln offers free SAT prep for students, and you can study for the SAT through Khan Academy as well.