Women’s Basketball Competes for First Place

Last night our Lady Lions Varsity Basketball team competed for first place in the league. Sadly, they took a hard loss against the Sobrato Bulldogs with a score of 54-48.

Before the game, I had a chance to talk to senior Varsity player Melanie Reis, who said “our season is going great, every one of us are really close. We have lunch together everyday and all get along. I am proud to say I am happy with my last season and can’t wait to see the freshman on the team carry the team next year after all the seniors graduate.”

The Lions definitely came out of the locker room pumped and ready to play.The Bulldogs also came out determined to keep the Lions away from their first place goal.

They were in the lead for most of the game. The first half of the game ended with a score of 35-34, Lincoln taking the one point lead.

There was great ball work by the amazing freshman point guard Vanessa Azure, as always.

Senior players of the night were Hannah Pham and Melanie Reis.

Great buckets came in from freshman Janet Jones and her older sister Savannah Jones. The Jones sisters also did a great job with stealing the ball from the other team and scoring quick.

The final quarter of the game was intense on both sides, while the Lions and Bulldogs were both trying to get out of the tied scores that seemed to catch up to each other for the first 4 minutes of the quarter. In the last 3 and a half minutes of the game, Sobrato racked up their points and the Lions just weren’t able to catch up.

Our Lady Lions were not able to take first place but their game proves that they have been working hard this season and are happy with their wins and losses.

Come support the Lady Lions at their next game, Thursday, February 6, at Prospect High School at 7 pm.