A historic season for Lincoln’s Lady Lions basketball team

At 9-1, the Lions finished their league in 1st place

We are done with the winter sports season, and Lincoln’s girls basketball team did great! The pre-season games started in November, with two hour practices nearly every day. The Varsity team finished the season first in the league standings, with nine wins and one loss. The Junior Varsity team went undefeated the entire league season.    

One of the highlights of this season was their first home game against Del Mar High School. Lincoln won 34-31, with senior Lizette Chavez sinking a three in the last few seconds to put it away.      

Another highlight was the game against Overfelt High School on February 8, which would decide the team’s position in the league. With such a fierce rivalry and high stakes, the band also attended this game. In the fourth quarter everything was down to the wire with a score of 40-37 and only a few seconds left. Sophomore Laia Williams managed to shoot a three pointer and tie the score at 40-40, giving the team an opportunity to come back and take the game. After being fouled Chavez only had to make a free throw to get ahead of Overfelt, which she did, securing Lincoln’s win of 41-40.

Recently, the team had their last home game at Lincoln. It was their senior night against San Jose High School. The gym was decorated with balloons and posters, and before the game officially started the seniors walked onto the court with their families to receive speeches and gifts. Once the game began things sped up, with Chavez scoring 17 points and Senior Isabela De Rueda scoring 11 points. The game ended with a score of 53-13, ending the league season on a great note.   

The Varsity team made it to the CCS (Central Coast Section) Championships (California) Division 2. They played Oak Grove and unfortunately lost, but are still very excited for next season. Because they won the league this year, they will be moving up to play in the B league next year. This is only the fourth time that Girls Basketball has won their league in the history of Abraham Lincoln High School. The year 2022 will now be displayed on the championship banner housed in the gymnasium.  

Junior Elyssa Castrejon shared, “I think our season went great… I’m very proud of the players for giving their all and making this season one to remember… I’m excited for what’s in store for us next season. Special thanks to our coach and our seniors for making this season so memorable!”