The Vandal Scandal is Hard to Handle

(Correction: Ms. Gurash name spelling corrected, 4/10/15)

Vandalism is back and on the rise. Classroom windows filled with graffiti and explicit phrases painted on the ground with no clue who did it, were what greeted students when they showed up to school on Monday, March 30th.

Students and faculty members are wondering about the unnecessary acts of graffiti perpetrated here at Lincoln. On the weekend of March 28th and 29th, someone came to Lincoln to vandalize the classroom windows of P104 and P105.

Vandalism was a huge problem at the school during the 1980s, and then lessened for a while, but now it is continuing to increase. Two years ago, there was an incident in which people vandalized bathrooms, school walls, and even caught trash cans on fire. Now the problem has resurfaced on classroom windows. 

Campus Police Officer Kilmer said the vandalism activity has increased and if the school finds out who did it, the culprits will be arrested and cited for a fine. Officer Kilmer had past experience dealing with the vandalization of classroom windows and has previously caught some of the students responsible for it. The students were arrested and fined $600 each for the damage caused. He also mentioned that the school uses a service called San Jose Cleaning, which is an app that calls cleaners in to clean up the vandalism.

Lincoln campus supervisor, Eddie, said he has noticed a decrease in vandalism activity, judging by how there is less graffiti now than was usual in the past. “Vandalism actually has decreased in past years; two years ago there would be a bunch of graffiti around the school walls,” he said.

Lincoln English teacher Ms. Gurash, whose P105 classroom windows were vandalized, stated that she had no idea who vandalized her room, but feels certain her students were not involved in it. Gurash said the paint was cleaned Tuesday morning, March 31. “I don’t know who did it but it’s definitely not one of my students; I know that,” said Ms. Gurash. 

If anyone has information on these recent acts of vandalism, they are advised to report it to Principal Hewitson or any faculty member at Lincoln.