Incoming Freshmen Welcomed to Lincoln

Lincoln Lion Tales hosted an informational table for all freshmen interested in journalism next year. Pictured from left to right: Eli Schenk, Mr. Alpers, and Bahaar Muhar (Lincoln Lion Tales/Felicia Viano)

Hundreds of eager 8th graders and their parents piled into Lincoln’s main gym on Monday, April 6th, for Freshman-Parent night.

Principal Hewitson welcomed the crowd and started off by listing all the amazing clubs, classes, athletic programs, and performing arts the incoming freshmen should get involved in.

Coach Collins was introduced and stated the athletic requirements. If freshmen are looking into joining a sport they will need to have their physical done before they are allowed to participate in the practices. The practices start June 15th and end July 31st, but summer practices are not mandatory.

The crowd was all ears when ASB President Daniel Cervantes gave an inspiring speech filled with advice for the incoming freshmen and encouraged them to get involved with as much as they can, because these four years do go by faster than they might think.

Mr. Hewitson then informed the crowd that this is the fourth year in a row that Lincoln is one of the most challenging schools.

Parents and students were informed that Lincoln has three full time counselors who have workshops available to parents every semester.  

Mr. Phelan advised that there are three campus supervisors, on-campus cops, and that Lincoln is a closed campus. Students may not leave campus for any reason unless a parent or guardian has signed them out.

The assistant principals went over the course selection forms, letting all freshmen know it is mandatory for them to take English, Geography, Math, Science, P.E. (or P.E. dance), and an elective. It is also mandatory for freshmen to take two years of P.E. (or P.E. dance).

For those who are getting an out of district transfer, the final day to submit their transcripts is Monday, June 15th.

Next year, Lincoln’s bell schedule will be different. Mr. Hewitson informed students to sign up for a zero period, which will start at 7 am. On Tuesdays and Thursdays,  school will get out at 2:10pm, and on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays school will get out at 3:10 pm.

“Let’s start [next] year off right,” Mr. Hewitson said.