Summer@State: Days at Lincoln, Nights in the Dorms

The Summer@State program is a program that runs adjacent to regular summer school, in which students get to stay overnight in the dorms at San Jose State University for 2 weeks, going home on the weekends.

The program offered a trip to the Santa Cruz Mountains where students conquered their fears and participated in activities such as jumping off a tree (with a harness of course) and a trip to San Francisco to the poverty-stricken area where students had the chance to interact with the people living there and work at the soup kitchen.

On the third week, the students stayed after the regular summer school and spent their time in the classes that they chose as electives, such as an engineering and problem solving class where you could build gravity cars, a “Who is You” class where you could investigate about the brain, a Creative Writing class where you can explore your style of writing and different types of literature, and a Journalism class where you could experience being a journalist for the Lincoln Lion Tales.

The students and teachers greatly enjoyed this program. Mr.Christian, a teacher in the program, said, “You get to spend a lot more time with the teachers, so you get a lot more one-on-one instruction, and you end up having a lot better relationship with the small group of kids that you’re with, as well as a better relationship with the teachers.”  Mr. Holm, another instructor in the program, said, “I think it’s a really great opportunity to get to experience things that don’t happen in traditional high school classes. It was worth it.”   Carlos Cervantes, junior, says, “You get a chance to see how college dorms and college is.”