New Teacher Profile: Ms. Alexander

Chau Le

Ms. Alexander poses in front of the board. (Chau Le/Lincoln Lion Tales)

This year is Ms. Megan Alexander’s debut as an English teacher for Lincoln’s tenth and eleventh graders, but her passion for the subject has taken her to schools all across the globe. From southern California’s blue skies to the snow-white peaks of the Himalayas, Ms. Alexander has seen it all. In addition to being a teacher, she is also a former college basketball player and proud owner of a master’s degree. Before beginning her career however, she was a typical student, attending college in the southwest.

“I got my bachelor’s degree in English at Colorado College. After I graduated, I moved to Australia and got my master’s degree in creative writing from the University of Melbourne,” she said. Later, Ms. Alexander would go on to be a teacher at a variety of schools, first earning a job instructing the young students of Nepal.

“I have been teaching for five years now. My first teaching job was in Nepal where I taught English to village children in remote areas of the countryside, both in the Himalayas and in the forests down on the Indian border,” she said. “When I returned to America, I began teaching in my hometown of El Cajon, CA where I taught 8th grade English and subbed in multiple high schools. I then moved to the Bay Area where I first taught at BayTech High School in Oakland. After moving from the East Bay, I taught English at an elementary school and middle school in Daly City. And now I’m here at Lincoln High. I am so excited to be back in a high school and really do love it here.”

For Ms. Alexander, the path to becoming a teacher was not always clear. However, after her first teaching job in Nepal, she realized that she had found her true calling.

“Working day after day with those students who were so eager to learn and wanted to do so in order to improve their lives as well as the lives of others in their communities, that was so inspiring to be around,” she said. “I knew that I was making quality connections and really making a difference. And that’s when I knew. There’s really not much more rewarding than being a positive influence in a student’s life. That’s why I decided to become a teacher.”

While there are many great aspects to being a teacher, Ms. Alexander feels that her students’ achievements are the best part of her job. As a result, she spends a great deal of her time crafting interesting content for the kids in her classroom.

“My favorite part about being a teacher is when my students have those ‘ah-ha’ moments. When they have worked really hard…and it finally clicks and they get it. That is just so rewarding to experience as a teacher,” she said. “I also love creating the really engaging (fun!) lessons that students dive into and truly enjoy along with learning something. When I see my students excited about being in my class, it’s a great day.”

As someone who has been teaching for the past five years, Ms. Alexander has much to say about her experiences on the job. To the students who dream of becoming educators like her, she offers this advice:

“Go out and experience life as much as possible,” Ms. Alexander said. “Then, bring those experiences back to the classroom so you can provide your students with a wide breadth of real world knowledge.”

For the general high school audience, she offers another critical piece of advice, something she wishes she had known when she was in high school.

“Life has so many incredible things in store for you beyond your high school years. What seems world-shatteringly important in high school really is not,” said Ms. Alexander. “Enjoy your ‘childhood’ and don’t get so swept up in trying to fit in. Be you, work hard to do the best you can, and have fun.”

An avid reader and writer, Ms. Alexander holds many quotes dear in her heart. However, of the many statements that had meaning to her, this quote by Marianne Williamson, as quoted in the film Coach Carter, remains one of the most beloved.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It’s not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”