Scholarships: Pay Your Way to College

Free money is out there, if you apply for scholarships. (Carlos Sandoval / Lincoln Lion Tales)

Through some research Lincoln Lion Tales team found some awesome scholarships from SuperScholar and Edvisors for our Lions to apply to. Scholarships are a great way of paying your college expenses. Its an opportunity for you to save money and be freed from college debt after graduation. Below are some of the highest awarding and popular scholarships that can help pay your way to your dream colleges and that are available to you:

Buick Achievers Scholarship Program 

This $25,000 scholarship is among one of the largest award amounts and has the additional benefit of being renewable each year for four years  making the value of $100,000 or more.  Buick (through the GM Foundation) is making a big commitment to scholarships as they award $2,000 one-time scholarships to an additional 1,000 students as well.  What high school student isn’t interested in cars?  They are seeking students who want to build, design or market tomorrow’s automobiles.  Applicants must be interested in entering the automotive or related industries so they are looking for students who plan to major in engineering, design, and business.  Grades and financial need are the first cut but look beyond that to community service and a whole host of other factors including the student being female, minority, a member of the military, or a veteran or dependent of a veteran.

Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation 

This foundation provides 250 achievement-based scholarships annually for students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and who are planning on attending an accredited post-secondary U.S. academic institution. The top 50 are designated as National Scholars and receive $20,000 while remaining 200 are designated as Regional Scholars and receive awards of $10,000.

KFCs Colonel’s Scholars program

The KFC scholarship award is for students with an entrepreneurial spirit who have a financial need and are applying to a public college or university.  This award is worth up to $5,000 each year for four years.  Because Colonel Sanders believed in the work ethic, which was certainly needed to establish the original KFC, this award requires students to work an average 10 hours per week beginning in the second year of funding.

Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society Scholarships

Transfer students need funds too. Students planning on transferring from community colleges to universities can find scholarships through this academic honor society using a common application (available to members).  There are a wide range of awards from $1,000 up to $7,500 from Phi Theta Kappa scholarship partners, which include a wide range of companies and foundations such as GEICO, New Century, and Coca-Cola.,   Additional scholarship opportunities available to Phi Theta Kappa members range up to $30,000 per year.

Ford Motor Company

Society of Manufacturing Engineers Ford PAS Scholarships offers three $10,000 scholarships to graduating high school seniors who have also participated in the PAS program. The Ford Partnership for Advanced Studies (PAS) program enrolls high school students into informal internship or mentorships where students can learn from business professionals and academics. PAS focuses on education in the sciences, engineering, math and other technical fields.

The Jackie Robinson Foundation’s Scholarship Program

This program awards scholarships of up to $7,500 annually to minority high school students. Scholarships are meant for four-year college students who can demonstrate financial need and leadership potential.

The Gates Millennium Scholars

The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS), funded by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, was established in 1999 to provide African American, American Indian/Alaska Natives, Asian Pacific Islander Americans, and Hispanic American students with an opportunity to complete an undergraduate college education in all discipline areas, and a graduate education for those students pursuing studies in mathematics, science, engineering, education, or library science. Requirements for scholarship consideration are the following: must be a citizen, national or legal permanent resident of the United States, have attained a cumulative high school GPA of 3.3 on an unweighted 4.0 scale or have earned a GED.

National Merit Scholarship Corporation

NMSC conducts scholarship programs for corporations, company foundations, and other business organizations. Most corporate-sponsored awards are designated for children of a sponsor’s employees or members. Certain scholarships, however, are offered for local residents of a community in which a company conducts operations, or for students with a college degree plan or career plan in which the corporate sponsor is interested in awarding a scholarship. Each corporate sponsor announces its program, confirms eligibility of award winners, and pays scholarship costs. Corporate sponsors are billed annually for scholarship costs, which include stipend amounts paid to winners and nominal grants that are used to underwrite National $2500 Scholarships, for which all Finalists are considered. Certain sponsors also recognize Scholarship winners at a corporate special event and/or in the corporation’s publications. Amount: Varies by Corporation. Requirements: Varies by corporation.

Microsoft Scholarships

A Microsoft scholarship is for students wishing to pursue an undergraduate degree in computer science and related technical disciplines. Scholarship are offered to residents in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Microsoft offers four different types of technical scholarships for the 2011-2012 academic year to current undergraduate students: General Scholarships, Women’s Scholarships, Minority Scholarships, and Scholarships for Students with Disabilities. The scholarships is for one academic year for either a full or partial scholarship. Full tuition scholarships will cover tuition for the 2011-2012 academic year as posted by the financial aid office at your college or university. Microsoft will make payments to the designated school, and they’re not transferable to other academic institutions. The scholarship is for tuition only. . Requirements: quality of application, interest in the software industry, commitment to leadership, and financial need. Eligibility, students must be enrolled full time in a bachelor’s degree program at a 4-year college or university in the United States, Canada, or Mexico at the time of submitting the application. An undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related technical discipline such as electrical engineering, math, or physics, and an interest in computer science. The scholarship is merit based, requiring maintaining a 3.0 cumulative grade point average out of a possible 4.0, or a 4.0 cumulative grade point average out of a possible 5.0.

DO something scholarship

Honors those, 25 years of age and younger who have  already created a significant impact and tangibly improved the lives of others in their greater community in measurable concrete ways. Five Do Something Award nominees will receive at least $10,000 in community grants and scholarships. Of the five winners, one grand prize winner will receive a total of $100,000 in community grants. The nominees also participate in a live VH1 TV show and will receive continued support from DoSomething.org. (The community grants are paid to the nominee’s organization or a not-for-profit organization of the nominee’s choice. All winners have the option of receiving $5,000 of the total award in the form of a college scholarship.)

Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) Scholarship

Scholarships are for those applicants who live in the U.S., where there are participating local chapters. The applicant must be a high school senior and under 21 years of age. The scholarships are available for either four-year or two-year colleges.