Lion F.I.T.T. Works it out

The inside if Lincoln’s gym. (Carlos Sandoval / Lincoln Lion Tales)

Lion F.I.T.T. is a fitness program that Lincoln created for a day of working out and it occurs on Monday and Thursdays. It’s followed by a long run for about 5 minutes, then another 5 minutes of yoga followed by three stationary workouts with the P.E instructors Tony Pomposo preforming lower body workouts, Adrian Phillips preforming upper body strength workouts and Hanah Kim with him working out the body’s core.

F.I.T.T is an acronym for: Frequency-Intensity-Time-Type.”Every student is being graded by Individual assessment, for each student not being graded on what they can do but how much intensity the students puts into it,” Lincoln’s P.E instructor, Coach Philips said.  Jerry Hernandez, a Sophomore at Lincoln, said Lion F.I.T.T is “good for health benefits, and sucks because the heat in the gym gets hot.” Lincoln Sophomore Edgar Ramirez also said “It’s a challenge at times but, hey I’m getting something out of it.”

Coach Phillips stated the purpose of Lion F.I.T.T. as “Giving a basis of proper fitness and proper technique for when they graduate and go out to the real world they are prepared to stay healthy.” He believes that every student is getting the proper and needed Physical Education with the mind set to be self motivated not about weight loss, but about being fit and also being healthy.

Some workouts that are run by Coach Kim are high and low planks, jack knife, sit-ups, mountain climbers and trunk lifts. Workouts with Coach Pomposo are jump rope, jump on and off higher objects, squats, lunges, running and bear crawls. Lastly, some workouts with Coach Philips are burpees, push-ups, diamond push-ups ,opposite arm and leg raise, and hand stand push-ups. For some, these workouts are easy to do, and for others, it’s a struggle. If you are struggling, it does not mean that you are weak, it means you are achieving a goal of gaining muscle.

Just like how many have said “No Pain No Gain,” Lion F.I.T.T. is a very benifital workout for students to do.