CCOC Program: A School Outside of School

Alnieshia Butler salutes her peers on October 12, 2015 (Fallon Ramirez-Lara / Lincoln Lion Tales)

Alnieshia Butler Junior/LincolnHighSchool photo taken by(Fallon Ramirez-Lara/ Lincoln lion tales)
Alnieshia Butler, a junior at Lincoln, studies law enforcement at CCOC. Here, she salutes for the camera on October 12, 2015. (Fallon Ramirez-Lara / Lincoln Lion Tales)

Lincoln students are exploring their options in the Silicon Valley Career Technical Education program, previously known as CCOC. This program is a free class for students to experience hands-on learning in the fields of medical practice, law enforcement, first-aid response, cooking, and more. The unique program lasts two semesters, with three hour class periods daily where students can learn the skills in the field of their interest. On top of receiving a surplus of information students receive fifteen credits per semester. This program is designed to help students transition into higher education and/or the workplace. In order for all students to have the opportunity to attend this program, there is a free of charge bus to the facility for all students to use. Requirements to attend the CCOC Program include being a junior or senior in high school, and/or being 16 years of age. The program is a public school and is part of the California State Department of Education.

Alnieshia Butler-Sawyer a junior at Lincoln high school, attends the law section of the program and enjoys learning about the “court system and forensics unit.” She states that the staff is “greatly willing to help with anything whether it has to do with resumes, help finding a job,” or anything to do with the topic of your choice. The program truly has no “negative” energy states Sawyer. Twelfth grade student Mariela Santa Cruz says that the medical assistant program is a friendly, professional, and sophisticated environment that is always welcoming. She described the CCOC program as friendly, supportive, and all about career.