First Aid Testing at Lincoln High School

%60%60%60%60%60

Kayla Aryanpour

Freshmen siting in gym engaged to the presentation. (Kayla Aryanpour / Lincoln Lion Tales)

One of the graduation requirements at Lincoln High School is passing the first aid test. It started on Monday November 2, 2015 through Tuesday November 10, 2015.  Lincoln’s P.E. teachers, Hanah Kim, Adrian Phillips, and Tony Pomposo take about one week and couple days to teach their classes about injuries and how to handle them. The students learn how to care for burns, cuts, and heart attacks. The first three days they were taught about burns, from 1st degree to 2nd degree and to 3rd degree burns. They even are taught how to handle just minor burns like blistering. The remainder of the days they learn how to care for cuts, heart attacks, and broken bones. They are taught how to recognize the severity of an injury. They are taught to elevate, ice, or wrap an injury at the correct times.  Lincoln dedicates a week and a half out of the students physical education class to have the students know what to do in a situation, and so they might even be able to save someone’s life because they will have the basic knowledge on how to care for many serious injuries.

At the end of this section the students get tested on the material they learned. They get multiple choice questions on the first section and for the second section of the test they get written questions. The entire test is 25 questions long. To pass they have to get the minimum of 17 questions correct. Mr. Phillips, Mr.Kim, and Mr.Pomposo supervise and teach their classes the material and they are the ones that test them as well. The teachers alternate periods so they don’t get too over-worked. The students have to pass this test. Most students pass as Freshmen or Sophomores but they have until Senior year to pass it. They have one chances to pass the test and if they don’t pass the first time they have to retake it next year. This was recently changed last year because on the previous years they had two chances but they made the tests a little easier. This year and last year was when they started the one chance test and the passing rate is still the same.

“I took notes each day and it was very helpful,” Freshman Ella White said. “I learned a lot and overall it was a great experience and I feel like I passed!”

“The tests in the previous years was a little bit harder so they had two chances to pass, but this year with the easier test they are still passing,” Mr. Phillips said. “The test questions are all common sense so the kids have no reason not to pass.”