Community Service Programs

(Noel Ramirez/ Lincoln Lion Tales)

Have nothing going on during Spring Break? Get involved with the community and make a change by volunteering in some of San Jose’s community service programs. These programs will help students to get involved with the community and they also count for community service credits. Here are three community service programs that need volunteer work from students and also to get some extra credits.

Santa Clara County Student Election Officer Program

The Santa Clara County Student Program is a program for only High School students that are 16 years and older and it teaches students about the electoral process, the rights and responsibilities of voters and the importance of participating in the practice of voting. This program provides and helps students to serve the community, experience democracy and also the program gives you community service credits. To qualify for the Santa Clara Student Election Officer Program your parents have to be a U.S citizen or a Permanent Resident. You have to be 16 years old on election day and also have a GPA 2.5 or higher. Also, you are going to need both written permission from your parent or guardian and written permission from school. Then agree to complete Election officer training and agree to work on Election day. Also you are required to attend training class and work on election day as an official member of Precinct Board.

Unity Care Group

The Unity Care Group is a program for students of ages (14-24) and you volunteer to help and make positive differences in the lives of the foster youth and families by volunteering your time and talents. To sign up all volunteers must fill out a volunteer application that will go to the Unity Care Volunteer Coordinator. If you’re under the age of 18, then you must need a parent or guardian to be present and to sign the application as well as the volunteer.  They’re about 10 areas were volunteer assistance will be needed. The Beautification Project will help students to participate to beautify Residential Treatment homes by painting the exterior or interior of group homes and offices. Corporate field trips are for youth ages 12-24 that go on tours to get inspiration and motivation to “ Dream Big”.  Family Finding is also one of the important categories in the program you get to help foster youths with activities to do with their families by donating items that you don’t use no more.

Sacred Heart Community Service

Sacred Heart is a program that is dedicated to bring the community together and to address poverty in the Silicon Valley, by getting involved with the program students will make a real impact in the lives of working poor families. To become a volunteer to this program you must complete an application you may either complete it in volunteer office or online but all teens will need to complete a Parental Permission Form before volunteering no teens will get to volunteer until this form is turned in to the Volunteer Coordinator. Sacred Heart is open Mon,Wed and Thurs 9 a.m to 4 p.m, Tuesday from 9 a.m to 5 p.m and Friday’s 9 a.m to noon. This program will let students volunteer in different categories, such as Food and Clothing, Family and Children, Housing, Financial Strength and Social Justice.