Bilingual Student Newspaper of Abraham Lincoln High School, San Jose California.

Lion Tales

Filed under Community, Showcase, Sports

The Final Score of Our Top Senior Athletes

Our top senior athletes: Hannah Hathaway, Anya Harkness, Coach Collins, and Jackson Gainer. / Hazel Stange

Once each semester, Lincoln has a “signing” pizza party  for our senior athletes going on to play sports at the collegiate level. The second semester signing party for 2017 was held June 30th in the main gym, for some of the most prosperous athletes that have ever attended Lincoln.

During lunch, Coach Collins honored our three champions, Anya Harkness, Hannah Hathaway, and Jackson Gainer, not only for their commitment to our sports teams but their dedication to their outside clubs as well. The athletes parents and coaches came to celebrate their high achievement along with bleachers filled with proud friends and teammates.

Anya Harkness’s track record is incredibly impressive for only having started her fencing career in middle school. Anya’s commitment for her team is what has allowed her to travel the world to play with the junior national team. Anya missed a large portion of her sophomore year of high school to travel around Europe, taking international titles as her souvenir. Currently ranked in the top five female fencers under 20 in the U.S, Anya will be beginning her training for a future Olympic Games. Anya will be attending one of the most prestigious schools in the country,  Northwestern University in Evanston Illinois, to continue her promising fencing career.

Anya Harkness / Public Instagram Account

Hannah Hathaway was captain of the Lady Lions water-polo and swim team this year, which was quite the feat when taking into consideration her year-round simultaneous participation at the Santa Clara Swim Club teams as well. Hannah was a starter for Lady Lion’s Polo for the past three years, all of which were CCS qualifying years. Hannah was also one of the most treasured members of our swim team not only because of her impressive times, but because of her tenacity and ability to persevere through exhaustion, frustration and disappointment. Hannah will now be creating a new title for herself at George Washington University in Washington D.C as a member of the D1 NCAA women’s water-polo team.

Hannah Hathaway / Public Instagram Account

Jackson Gainer is one of the most impressive high school athletes to ever attend Lincoln. Not only has he traveled the world to compete for international swimming titles, but he advanced all the way to state championships this year, a first for Lincoln’s mens swim team. Jackson’s year round participation in the Quick Silver Swim Club has allowed Jackson to participate in some of the most renowned competitions in the country: the 2016 Speedo Championships, the 68th Husky Invitational, and the 2017 American short course championships. Jackson, like Anya, is planning to prepare for a future Olympic Games. Jackson is now moving on to swim for the University of Denver.

Jackson Gainer / Public Instagram Account

We are so proud of our athletes and extremely lucky to be home to some of the most valued players in the country. Congratulations Lions and thank you for all you gave to our school.