School Shootings, Who is to blame?

Who is to blame for the deaths of many high schoolers and elementary school students is it our president, is it mental illness, is it the free gun laws, or is it the loopholes within? (Miles Gonzales / for Lincoln Lion Tales)

Ever since this great nation was founded guns have existed. Before rifles were manufactured, guns were used for war and hunting. However now automatic weapons have now become a threat to regular citizens. Many fingers have been pointed at the National Rifle Association for having supported Trump with millions of dollars to enforce gun freedom. Politics have been a very large influencer for gun laws and bans  Others say that the blame should be placed on the shooters mental health or background. Many people don’t realize the ease of obtaining firearms. Manufacturing your own is a very deep loophole that has been exposed time and time again or maybe even a hiccup in the government database.

After the past shootings on school campuses that have led to many unfortunate deaths it has been brought to the president’s attention on how easily people under the age of 18  or over are acquiring these guns so easily without a licence at gun stores or on the black market. After the past 19 campus shootings that occured this year in 2018 the president has become more aware of the matter and has held a congresses in the white house to discuss the matter  that is causing the community to become afraid of letting their kid go to school thinking if that will be the last time they get to seeing their kid.

Due to the recent major school shooting in Florida on February 14, 2018 that unfortunately caused 17 deaths of the innocent, president Trump held a listing session on mass shootings where he discussed politically wise on how he is going to try to prevent this matter. He mentions that his administration is going to strengthen background checks for gun purchases as well put stronger emphasis on mental health to promise the families and students he is going to get it done to provide safety.

As a result The National Rifle Association quickly rose the age on buying long guns to 21. Unfortunately as a result not any major difference but the age change on purchasing guns has been done but some schools in the communities brought up the idea of  deciding to hire police mans and have then go undercover as an administrator in schools.

At February 26, Washington Post publicated a article with a video showing all mass shootings that impacted and suffered many lives; such as the school shooting on Columbine High School in 1999 killed 15, Las Vegas shooting that killed 59 on October 1, and the most recent one, Stoneman Douglas High School that killed 17. As some of the accused were detained, officials stated they all suffered from mental illness which brought from parents and students around the nation to question their kids safety in school. There has been 18 school shootings this year, crazy huh? There was walkout against gun violence on February 21 that was held by students from Florida and spread through the country. Parents we’re furious from trump resolution to fix this problem and safety for the students.

When mass shootings occur in the United States, many people blame it on the Mentally ill. The opposing side balmes it on Gun control laws. We can’t change the problem of Mental Illness but we can set boundaries so it is not a danger to society.

The United states does not have a high rate of Mental Illness. One in five adults are diagnosed every year. The United states does have a high percentage of gun owners leading tens of thousands of deaths and annual injuries a year. Having Strict gun laws will not help these mass shootings in the U.S. , It is not that hard getting a gun in the U.S. some of these people that did a mass shooting got guns from their parents. Around 500 children under 18 years old have gun violence. President Donald trump has gave a statement on the recent Florida school Shooting. Trump argued that we should not seem to blame the guns, the problem is “the difficult issue of mental health”.

Mass shootings also concur with racism in the United States.The Shooter of Douglas High School, after killing 17 people was known as a white male supremacist and Nazi-like in social media along with other mass shooters such as, Nikolas Cruz a 19 year old shooter at Parkland school. Cruz was a frequent racist, homophobic and anti-Semitic remarks. Cruz was a mentally unstable person with racist beliefs like these other domestic terrorists.

No matter what you believe or what you see, there is a racism and Gun control problem in this country. Politicians need to start doing something to prevent all this trouble happening and we need to stand as a nation together to make a change not start riots and going onto each other because of the color of our skin, or our believes.

After the past shootings on school campuses that have led to many unfortunate  deaths it has been brought to the president’s attention on how easily people under the age of 18  or over are acquiring these guns so easily without a licence at gun stores or on the black market. After the past 19 campus  shootings that occured this year in 2018 the president has become more aware of the matter and has held a congresses in the white house to discuss the matter  that is causing the community to become afraid of letting their kid go to school thinking if that will be the last time they get to seeing their kid.

Due to the recent major school shooting in Florida on February 14, 2018 that unfortunately caused 17 innocent deaths, president Trump held a listing session on mass shootings where he discussed politically wise on how he is going to try to prevent this matter. He mentions that his administration is going to strengthen background checks for gun purchases as well  put stronger emphasis on mental health to promise the families and students he is going to get it done to provide safety.

As a result The national Rifle Association quickly rose the age on buying long guns to 21. Unfortunately as a result not any major difference but the age change on purchasing guns has been done but some schools in the communities brought up the idea of  deciding to hire police mans and have then go undercover as an administrator in schools.

Loopholes within gun laws have cause passed shooters to obtain the power to kill. Patrick Kelley, A former Airmen, was a passed convicted felon for assaulting his wife and break his infant son’s skull in 2014. Later the air force demoted him to the lowest rank that could be possibly given. He was sentenced to incarceration for 12 months. Two years after in 2014 Mr. Kelley was being reported for misconduct. In 2016 and 2017 Mr. Kelley bought two guns by passing a background check. Later He shot and killed 29 people at a church in texas. Mr. Kelley was later found dead in his car with even more weapons. After further investigation the background check was only passed due to the air force not putting Mr. Kelley’s conviction into the government databases.

Another horrifying story of gun law loopholes is the rancho tehama school shooting. The internet can be a great source for news, videos, and sadly even firearm parts. Many ways that people own guns is through manufacturing your own firearm. Distributors of gun parts thought that there is no way that a gun could possibly be made from an unfinished parts that they sell however it doesn’t take much effort to finish the parts and therefore finish the killing machine. The rancho shooter manufactured his very own AR-15 style weapons and never had to tell the government or the police that he was in possession.

Controversy consumes our ideas and clouds the truth, however we must unite on this issue. It shouldn’t matter who is the cause of these shootings what we should focus on is preventing blood from spilling in the halls of schools and preventing mass shootings nationwide. Whether the cause is our president, mentally ill citizens, the freedom of gun laws or even gun law loopholes. Unite to save lives, don’t distance from the truth just because your opinion.

Sources:  

Buchanan, Larry, et al. “How They Got Their Guns.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 3 Oct. 2015, www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html.

Chivers, C. J., et al. “With AR-15s, Mass Shooters Attack With the Rifle Firepower Typically Used by Infantry Troops.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 28 Feb. 2018, www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/28/us/ar-15-rifle-mass-shootings.html.

Corkery, Julie Creswell and Michael. “Walmart and Dick’s Raise Minimum Age for Gun Buyers to 21.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 28 Feb. 2018, www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/business/dicks-major-gun-retailer-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles.html.

Ellenbogen, Romy. “How Easy Is It to Get a Gun in Florida?” PolitiFact Florida, 21 Feb. 2018, www.politifact.com/florida/article/2018/feb/21/fact-check-how-easy-it-get-gun-florida/.

Kertscher, Tom. “PolitiFact: Gun Law Doesn’t Bar Most Mentally Ill.” Myajc, 1 Mar. 2018, www.myajc.com/news/national-govt–politics/politifact-gun-law-doesn-bar-most-mentally-ill/GqXDeZHMM3jkpomz9lX3RN/.

Luo, Michael. “The Sad Reality of Trying to Keep Guns Away from Mentally Ill People.” The New Yorker, The New Yorker, 16 Feb. 2018, www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-sad-reality-of-trying-to-keep-guns-away-from-mentally-ill-people.

Qiu, Linda. “President Trump’s Contradictory, and Sometimes False, Comments About Gun Policy to Lawmakers.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 28 Feb. 2018, www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/us/politics/fact-checking-trump-guns-cabinet-room.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news.

Sargent, Greg. “Opinion | Stop Sucking up to ‘Gun Culture.’ Americans Who Don’t Have Guns Also Matter.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 26 Feb. 2018, www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/02/26/stop-sucking-up-to-gun-culture-americans-who-dont-have-guns-also-matter/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.47095a09157c.