The State of The Union

The State of The Union is a speech given by the President to America once a year. The President speaks in front of the House of Representatives, including Republicans and Democrats. The President explains how well the country is doing, here and in foreign affairs around the world. Obama states that this year is “The Year of Action.”

Some highlights from his speech included:

There were 8 million new jobs added this year, and unemployment has gone down.  There is more oil being produced in the United States, and more fuel efficient cars being made, as well as more efficient trucks.

Obama stated that the new standard to receive a college scholarships is to do well in school, and if you work hard enough, regardless of your class in society, you will receive one. The effort you make in school effects your next few years of higher education. No middle or lower class child will not be left behind in obtaining their higher education dreams. The more effort you put into your school work can either lead you down or up to a better college.

Obama wants more women to be paid equal pay for equal amount of work. Obama also stated that a mother of children or a father should be able to attended to a sick child or parent with out having a negative effect on their work status. The new minimum wage Obama proposed is $10.10. The President chuckled as he said it should be easy to remember because of the similar numbers.

Cory Remsburg was given a dedication by Obama because of the incident that had happened to him in Afghanistan. Mr. Remsburg was in a coma after being injured by a road side bomb. He was found face down in a puddle and has permanent Brain Damage. President Obama had met Cory previously and had wanted him to stay in touch. After his story was explained, Cory had 5 to 8 minutes of clapping by everyone in the room.

This Reporter’s Reaction:

As a female student in high school, I feel a bit better knowing that women will be having equal pay for an equal amount of work. Just knowing that anyone can be President, Obama was talking so highly of women and it almost gave off an affect that a female should try for being the next president.

More students in grade school or college, regardless of their class in society, will have an opportunity to pursue higher education. This, however, requires students to work for their own education. This makes me want to work twice as hard, knowing there is a chance for being accepted into a great college, without worrying about how much it will cost.

As long as you work hard, you will do great as long as you keep it up. The President made lots of great promises this year.

Let’s hope some of them will be put into effect.