Lion Tales

76th Annual Big Bone Game

Will this be the last Big Bone on Thanksgiving?

Back to Article
Back to Article

76th Annual Big Bone Game

Lions pose with the bone after the 76th annual Big Bone.Bone stays home! Final score: 51-6. The game was on the November 22, 2018. The game was played at Independence High School in San Jose, CA.

On November 22nd, the Lincoln varsity Football Lions won 51-6 to San Jose high Bulldogs. This year, the game was played at Independence High School in San Jose, CA. The game started at 11am and had, according to reporters present, approximately 100-150 students, alumni, faculty and staff, and parents present to watch the game. In the past, the game attracted thousands of people from all over San Jose and was, in the 1950s played at the football stadium for San Jose State University.

After the victory, Lincoln Lion Tales talked to the principle, Matthew Hewitson, about the potential of moving Bing Bone to other day to increase attendance. He said “Its a wonderful and unique tradition…we would need are really competing reason to not play it on Thanksgiving day.” With that says he also said “We do have some concerns with how many people are coming out to the game…we are looking at different options which include perhaps playing it at a different time not on Thanksgiving maybe on the last game of the season maybe or earlier in the season.”

“We have discussed changing the venue to something that would either attract a lot of people to come out,” Hewitson said, “something like Levis Stadium, or something thats just easily to do, maybe we just play the game at home.”

Here are some pictures of the annual 76th Bing Bone game: