Thinking Lincoln: Funding Students to Help Students

eco friendly

eco friendly

Freshmen Leilani Lopez and Michelle Gutierrez were recently assigned a project in Mr. Bill Erlendson’s Honors Biology class that would benefit the school in an eco-friendly way.  As the girls struggled to find a good project, Coach Collins helped them by giving these Freshmen the idea of inserting new recycling bins in every class that needs one.

What the girls thought was going to be a small project might turn into something huge because they have written a proposal for a $2,000 grant from Thinking Lincoln. 

Thinking Lincoln is a grant initiative funded by the Lincoln Foundation that will help students fund-raise and sponsor student proposals like this recycling bin project.

“What started off as a small project ended up turning into something big and changing Lincoln for the better,” says freshmen Lopez.

“We just want to make the school eco-friendly,” says freshmen Gutierrez.

The girls, in their proposal, have asked for 200 recycling bins for every class. With the help of leadership, they could soon be put in classrooms that need them.

Also, they have proposed working with a trash company to help them out with this project. The trash company will help by picking up the recycling.

The girls hope this project will make our school more eco-friendly and teach Lincoln students that to “do right” means going green.

Find out more about the Lincoln Foundation on their Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/lincolnhighschoolfoundation