10 Seniors Accepted to U.C. Berkeley

Lion Tales has recently been informed that ten Lincoln students have been accepted into U.C. Berkeley. These ten students are Donald Nguyen, Esteffanie Alvarez Ceballo, Evelyn Sandoval, Garrett Parzygnot, Ilsa Carrillo-Meza, Isabel Sotelo Acuna, Ned Tsui, Sally Tran, Raphael Krigel, and Ysabelle Morales. All accepted students will attend the university in Fall 2014, with the exception of Krigel, who will attend USC, and Morales, who will attend UCLA.

Four of those accepted students replied to the same ten questions about their college-finding experience. Here are their responses.

1) How do you feel about getting into U.C. Berkeley?

Sally Tran: “I felt shocked at first and even screamed for a good ten seconds. Donald Nguyen told me that he screamed like a banshee. I was just really, really happy and excited.”

Ysabelle Morales: “I’m very proud of getting accepted into UC Berkeley because I didn’t think I could do it.”

Donald Nguyen: “When I read the confirmation email, I wailed like a banshee for a good minute. Afterward, I was glad and quite relieved that all my effort and work paid off.”

Ned Tsui: “Berkeley has been my target school for a long time, and being accepted has made me feel accomplished.”

2) What have you done to get into Berkeley?

Sally Tran: “I got into UC because I got good grades, okay test scores, and extracurriculars. I cared about and had leadership positions, and an alright personal statement that showed who I was and my dreams.”

Ysabelle Morales: “I think my grades and extracuriculars like choir and mock trial and my personal statements have shown UC Berkeley that I’m a deserving candidate to attend their school.”

Donald Nguyen: “I participated in clubs at school, aiming for high positions, enrolled in outside voluntary organizations, religious or ethnicity based , and constantly challenged myself, taking all or the AP classes at school and going to college classes. Overall, I did stuff that I could write about that exemplifies studiousness, leadership, and being outgoing.”

Ned Tsui: “Getting in was no easy task. I had to keep my grades, do extracurriculars (ASB, Math, Track), take as many advanced classes as possible and go above and beyond in my community.”

3) How much effort did you put into your grades, and how do you feel about your accomplishments here at Lincoln?

Sally Tran: “The first two years, I didn’t put in a lot of effort but since I had AP’s during junior and senior year, I put in an adequate amount. I didn’t go all out but I struggled to maintain the good grades. I feel proud of my accomplishments.”

Ysabelle Morales: “I put in effort in doing homework and participating in class. I think I’m a very involved student and am proud to have accomplished a lot here at Lincoln.”

Donald Nguyen: “I put an emphasized effort on grades, aiming for A’s and only accepting 1 B per year, with exceptions. I felt like I haven’t left an impact on the school, but content that I tried.”

Ned Tsui: “In order to keep up my grades, most of my work time is dedicated to homework and study. In order to help me, my parents took away my social media for a period of time and the result is me having better grades, which I am thankful for. I feel satisfied about my accomplishments at Lincolnbut I always wish I could have done even more extracurricular activities and accomplished more.”

4) Who motivated you to get into college?

Sally Tran: “My friends, family, and Gear Up motivated me to get into a college.”

Ysabelle Morales: “No certain person influenced me to go to college, but my own motivation to learn and expand my education helped motivate me to go to college.”

Donald Nguyen: “I motivated myself. No one could have encouraged me to attend. I realized in order to accomplish my dream, I have to attend college.”

Ned Tsui: “Ever since middle school, I had been getting good grades. My parents noticed this and began pushing me to do better. Additionally, my mom is a Berkeley graduate. Therefore, my parents are my bigger source of motivation.”

5) What type of effort can you recommend to future Seniors here at Lincoln?

Sally Tran: “I recommend future Seniors at Lincoln to put their best efforts into college apps/senior year. Get all the help you can get from the College and Career center, start early on personal statements, and keep on top of everything (Applications, tests, Financial Aid).

Ysabelle Morales: “Future Seniors- stay positive. The college application process is mentally and emotionally exhausting and thinking about your future is very stressful, especially when it seems like everyone already knows what they’re doing. But just keep working hard and know that you are not alone. Talk to the college counselors, everyone is there to help you!”

Donald Nguyen: “Challenge Yourself.”

Ned Tsui: “I recommend them to do extracurriculars, keep good grades and do sports. Whatever they do, do it effectively and set a goal.”

6) Are you happy about getting into this college?

Sally Tran: “I’m really happy to get into Cal.”

Ysabelle Morales: “I was happy about getting in, but I’ve chosen to attend UCLA this fall. Woo, go Bruins!”

Donald Nguyen: “I was exuberantly happy, but a little sad that I was not able to attend M.I.T., my dream school.”

Ned Tsui: “Yes I am. I look foward to meeting new people, getting knowledge and developing my independence in a new place.”

7) Is U.C. Berkeley a college you’ve always wanted to attend?

Sally Tran: “Cal has been my dream school since sophomore year.”

Ysabelle Morales: “Not really, to be honest. I’ve heard it was a great school but it was never really a top choice.”

Donald Nguyen: “It was my goal since freshmen year.”

Ned Tsui: “Yes it has been.”

8) What other colleges did you apply to? What other colleges were you accepted to?

Sally Tran: “I applied to 10 private schools. The only private college I got into was USC. I applied to UC’s and CSU’s, and got into all I applied to: SJSU, CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, Cal Poly Pomona, USCB, UCI, UCD, UCSC, and UC Berkeley!”

Ysabelle Morales: “I applied to: UCLA, USCD, UCSC, UCSB, Santa Clara University, and the University of Chicago. I was accepted to all universities.”

Donald Nguyen: “I was accepted into UC  Berkeley, LA, San Diego, Davis, and SJSU. I was rejected from StanfordM.I.T, Harvey Mudd, CalTech.”

Ned Tsui: “I applied to UCLA and got accepted.”

9) How does going to this college affect your family or people around you?

Sally Tran: “My friends and family are happy for me and proud of me.”

Ysabelle Morales: “Well, my family is proud that I’ve gotten accepted to U.C Berkeley. A side of my family didn’t think I was going to get accepted so I like rubbing it in their face. My mom likes mentioning I got accepted to brag to others about my college endeavors. “It’s very interesting.”

Donald Nguyen: “My family was proud and modest when I first told them. Their attitude had not changed.”

Ned Tsui: “My acceptance has made my parents and friends proud of me.”

10) Senior Quote?

Sally Tran: “Yams Every where.”-2 chainz

Ysabelle Morales: “If you’re going through hell, keep going.”- Winston Churchill

Ned Tsui: “Study hard and make new friends.”